Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 year ago

How do I renew vehicle registration for a car that is titled under my dads name?

My car was broken down for a while so once I got it fixed, it was past the eligibility to do it online. I went to the tax office and they told me he has to basically sign a “permission slip” saying that I am approved to renew with a copy of his ID or do it himself. My dad is currently going through health issues and I live a little over 2 hours away for college. I have receipts proving that I usually register the car under my name, is that enough proof for them to allow me to renew?

6 Answers

  • Edna
    Lv 7
    12 months ago

    As far as I know, you don't have to have the car titled in your name, in order to renew the yearly registration. In my state (TX), you can renew the yearly registration on ANYONE'S car, as long as you bring in the renewal notice and pay the fee to the County to renew registration. YOU don't have to be the owner of the vehicle. All the Title does is prove ownership of the vehicle; and the County doesn't care who "owns" the vehicle.. "Title" and "Registration" aren't the same thing. . I've never been asked to show my Title in order to renew my registration.

  • May
    Lv 6
    12 months ago

    If you were told that "basically" you must have a permission slip, then Basically what part of that do you basically not understand?

    The "basically" generation. They have no (basic) clue.

  • 1 year ago

    They laid out your options already. Time for a trip home to see your family!

  • g
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

    "I have receipts proving that I usually register the car under my name".

    If your mystery location allowed you do do such (most don't) then you will simply need to repeat that process.

    If you managed to do this successfully in the past you should be able to do it again.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

    What state are you in? If it's registered in your name already you should just be able to go to the DMV, pay the fee, and you're all set. At least that's how it is in NY.

  • 1 year ago

    No. The person who's name is on the title is the one who can re-register or sign the title over to you. In my state, you would have to pay sales tax on the value of the vehicle if ownership is changed without a sale.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.