Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 9 months ago

Are bots really controlling our minds as the Yahoo Joker claims or is he just being an alarmist?

🤖

Favorite Answer

If the Yahoo Joker believes that he should buy a tin foil hat.

Sagebrush awarded him "best answer" with 5 stars for stating in part "We even have the advantage in playing dirty because they are seeking some level of decorum. I am not interested in decorum. I'll get as dirty as need be. Woot woot!" In other words Sagebrush approves strongly of that behavior.

He has claimed he has 127 sock accounts in order to "delete questions", manipulating the ratings and even awards himself best answer.

As for questions being moved automatically, that is definitely happening. If we want to know who is doing it, look no further, he has proudly announced that he does that and now he is crying that others are doing the same to him? Pathetic!

Over the 15 years I’ve been answering here trolls come and go they usually work on the assumption yahoo take no notice, which is only partly true. In my experience yahoo take little notice as only a few (actual people) really use this section, but when they do look in, trolls tend to suddenly disappear, as they can hide their fake Q/A from us but yahoo can see exactly who is running what accounts. I remember when DR jello bit the dust many of his fake accounts went down with him.

I don't know much about bots, However, I have had questions moved and answers deleted because they contained irrefutable information against global warming.

• EXZTNZ

Just like how humans could create robots, I believe we're all robots to some creator who made this world. So maybe yes.

The only way to remove these bot tagged questions is to report them for deletion.

• This is hilarious! There's a whole slew of questions over the past week that are bot tagged! Including this question!!!

Even more hilarious: the guy who actually runs the bot is squirming! So what does he do? He digs himself even deeper by making a question about it!!

Just go thru the current list of questions when you log in or at random times. Move them and watch them magically move back. This ain't brain surgery.

The paid trolls have a dilemma. Bot tagging means they risk getting exposed. Not bot tagging means they open up the Global Warming section.

But I love how they keep drawing attention to themselves. Their incompetence is Pure Comedy Gold!

I mean, it's possible, but when this claim comes from the same person who accuses everyone else of being a "paid troll", it's hard to take seriously.

• Dirac

The actual evidence that any "bots" are moving questions is almost non-existent. The Troll tells us that some questions are under the "control" of bots, meaning that when some obnoxious person (like the troll) moves the question to a category where it doesn't belong, then the bot automatically moves it back. The problem with this theory is that the troll has claimed that my questions of the past few days were controlled, but I keep having to move them back!! It would be great if a bot kept them in Global Warming, where they belong, but that's not the case. The troll explains this by claiming that the question was "released" from the bot control at some point. (Why?) So apparently the evidence that bots are doing this is that questions get moved back right away, except when they don't!

There may be bots, but these "tests" that people are running not only prove nothing, they are obnoxious. LEAVE QUESTIONS IN THE CATEGORIES THEIR ASKER INTENDED THEM TO BE IN!

We have no way of knowing WHO is moving a particular question. It would not surprise me to find out that the troll is moving questions not only by science realists, but also those from his denier pals. He could then blame it on bots.

Personally, I am only Level 4 and so can only move my own questions. And I want ALL the questions to remain in this category. It's really fun answering the denier questions and steamrollering over them with science. I WANT them to stay here.

• JimZ

For me, the possibilities are bots and over zealous movers. For someone to move the question that fast, they either have to have some sort of alert on the question or they have to constantly monitor moving in and out. Maybe that kind of zealot is savvy enough to create some sort of bot so I guess that is another possibility. I have learned that you can't underestimate the zealousness of alarmists so I'm not 100% convinced of bots but their existence seems likely to me.

Difficult to say! The problem is that we can't tell if a bot is moving the questions or a person. The only evidence of a bot, as Solar Wind suggests, is the speed with which the questions move around. However, I've been doing some experiments to see what happens so this is what I've observed ...

There was a question posted yesterday 'What is the Greenhouse Effect'. This question seemed to move back and forth between Global Warming and Abuse and Spam. Yahoo Joker claimed that if you tried to move the question to a different category, it returned to the Global Warming section. Obviously this raises the issue of why he wanted to move a question clearly about Global Warming to a different section! In any case, since I'd answered that question, I watched for a while yesterday to see how long it took to flip categories. In some cases it was 2 minutes. In other cases, it was 5 to 10 minutes. Why would a bot take different lengths of time?

At about 7 am GMT I had a look at that question. It was in the Abuse and Spam category. It remained there for an hour. This seems odd, since according to Yahoo Joker, it should have been moved by a bot back to Global Warming. So I moved it myself back to Global Warming. The question remained there for about 5 minutes, then returned to Abuse and Spam. I repeated the move, and it remained for about 2 minutes, before being returned to Abuse and Spam.

What I then tried was moving it, and clicking the icon to follow the question. The question hasn't, as far as I can tell, been moved since.

So ... I'm not sure a bot is actually moving the questions rather than a human being. What I am wondering is if level 7 users moving a question and/or then following that question pins it to a category?

Depends on how you classify controlling minds. My uncle believes EVERYTHING he reads on his favorite far right "news". He is being controlled by what others want him to believe. My communist step mother is about the same on what she reads, but in the other direction. It takes a thinking mind not to be sucked into the ultra- right/left that has now taken over our govt.