Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 4 months ago

Why do all my dark shirts have white streaks on them after being washed?

This has been happening for over a year. I wear a shirt, I wash it on cold, I dry it, I pull it out nice and clean, and then when I put it on it has white streaks up and down the left and right of the botton half of the shirt. It only happens to sort of dark clothes (black, navy, dark red, sage) and only to t-shirts. I am so sick of washing clothes twice. I have changed detergents twice (currently using Tide Pods); I have tried changing the amount of clothes in the washer; I have moved since the problem started, so it's not the washer or dryer... Someone HAS to have had the same problem. Please help me: what causes this, and how do I stop it for good???

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

If it's clean when you pull it ou and streaks when you're wearing it, then you could be having the problem I do. If I'm not really careful when putting the shirt on, my deodorant from my underarms gets on the shirt and leaves white streaks ecactly where yours are.

• 18 gibbs 20
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

For me unless I'm careful that part of the shirt brushes along my underarms. That's all it takes. Try a clear gel antiperspirant.

• 4 months ago

Try using liquid detergent. The white streaks are from washing powder that isn't dissolving properly.

• Harris4 months agoReport

Nope. I switched FROM liquid detergent TWICE because that's what I thought it was, now I'm on Tide Pods and I'm sure it's not the detergent.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Are you using tap-cold water and a powdered detergent? If so, that might be why.

In the description, I believe I said Tide Pods.

• C
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

When did you last deep clean your machine, as in run it empty with either a washing machine cleaner or washing soda on the hottest setting? If machines aren't periodically cleaned a film of body oils, other soiling and undissolved detergent can build up between the inner and outer drums, bits of which end up as streaks on laundry.

Not for a while, and I guess it's possible. But remember I moved, and I now use a new washer and dryer.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

If you've altered everything in the washer, then you may be using a softening sheet in the dryer that is leaving residue. If the streaks wash out they are detergent, softener or softener sheet residue.

• Texperson
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

Do you ever use bleach? Or softener in the washer? There may be some items you wash with the darks that effect them.
      Try Tide Free and Clear, not pods, but the liquid. And read the amount to use on the container, its usually way less than you'd think, and use HE if its an HE machine.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Its is do to your water. Too much calcium is build up. If you are on a well use a different type of softener salt. Get your water tested.

That can't be. I've read that before, and significantly lowered my detergent AND lightened my loads. Even on small loads this occurs.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.