Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 4 months ago

Why do all my dark shirts have white streaks on them after being washed?

This has been happening for over a year. I wear a shirt, I wash it on cold, I dry it, I pull it out nice and clean, and then when I put it on it has white streaks up and down the left and right of the botton half of the shirt. It only happens to sort of dark clothes (black, navy, dark red, sage) and only to t-shirts. I am so sick of washing clothes twice. I have changed detergents twice (currently using Tide Pods); I have tried changing the amount of clothes in the washer; I have moved since the problem started, so it's not the washer or dryer... Someone HAS to have had the same problem. Please help me: what causes this, and how do I stop it for good???

Favorite Answer

If it's clean when you pull it ou and streaks when you're wearing it, then you could be having the problem I do. If I'm not really careful when putting the shirt on, my deodorant from my underarms gets on the shirt and leaves white streaks ecactly where yours are.

• 18 gibbs 20

For me unless I'm careful that part of the shirt brushes along my underarms. That's all it takes. Try a clear gel antiperspirant.

Try using liquid detergent. The white streaks are from washing powder that isn't dissolving properly.

• Harris4 months agoReport

Nope. I switched FROM liquid detergent TWICE because that's what I thought it was, now I'm on Tide Pods and I'm sure it's not the detergent.

• Mark

Are you using tap-cold water and a powdered detergent? If so, that might be why.

• Harris4 months agoReport

In the description, I believe I said Tide Pods.

• C

When did you last deep clean your machine, as in run it empty with either a washing machine cleaner or washing soda on the hottest setting? If machines aren't periodically cleaned a film of body oils, other soiling and undissolved detergent can build up between the inner and outer drums, bits of which end up as streaks on laundry.

• Harris4 months agoReport

Not for a while, and I guess it's possible. But remember I moved, and I now use a new washer and dryer.

If you've altered everything in the washer, then you may be using a softening sheet in the dryer that is leaving residue. If the streaks wash out they are detergent, softener or softener sheet residue.

• Texperson

Do you ever use bleach? Or softener in the washer? There may be some items you wash with the darks that effect them.
      Try Tide Free and Clear, not pods, but the liquid. And read the amount to use on the container, its usually way less than you'd think, and use HE if its an HE machine.

Its is do to your water. Too much calcium is build up. If you are on a well use a different type of softener salt. Get your water tested.

• Harris4 months agoReport

That can't be. I've read that before, and significantly lowered my detergent AND lightened my loads. Even on small loads this occurs.