Without a belief in a god, would the world be a better place? What reasoning can you give for your opinion?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

my world is a better place without a belief in god, but I cannot speak for everyone else. Judging from what a number of Christians have confessed on here, the only thing preventing them from "sinning" is their belief in god. They give the impression that without their belief they would all go out raping or murdering.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Jake
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

The Christian God is the only God Who exists and He is omnibenevolent. A person can know these things with certainty by reciting the rosary each day with care.

• 6 months ago

No. Believers came up with the Big Bang Theory, television, advances in heart surgery and trauma care, and the closest thing we have yet to cold fusion, the Farnsworth Fusor.

• 6 months ago

Any society that has abandoned the concept of God has stagnated and in many cases digressed in social development.

Take China.

Buddhism and Confucianism were the major religions into even modern times. The society stagnated and became easy prey for western societies which effectively subjugated them for many years. Under a government that attempted to do away with all things religious they digressed (under communism) and had to resort to med-evil (labor intensive) methods of construction. It was only after the "state" stopped trying to eradicate religion that it was able to make major strides in advancing as a civilization.

Second case the former USSR which during WWII had to resort to human waves to combat the Germans. They lost the race to the moon. They found themselves not able to keep pace with nations which at the time practiced a religion with a zeal.

Third case, modern day Europe and the northern hemisphere of the America's. Which has been abandoning "righteousness". These societies peaked about 1970. Which is about the time that percentage of those practicing a form of religion started to drop off. The social fabric is decaying as the trend continues. These societies have digressed from having a surplus population to having a negative population growth. Which has resulted in an influx of peoples who are not born in those countries having enough political and social clout that these foreigner's can paralyze those societies.

As you can see, history and current events prove that with out a belief in a deity a society does not flourish like a society that does. As for which one flourishes best consider that the Christian nations were able to dominate world events for some 1000 years.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

No. If anything, the world would be much worse than it is now. Like many other things, religious belief can be used for good or for evil. It's the *people* who commit both, not the belief.

"A new Pew Research Center study of the ways religion influences the daily lives of Americans finds that people who are highly religious are more engaged with their extended families, more likely to volunteer, more involved in their communities and generally happier with the way things are going in their lives." [2016]

http://www.pewforum.org/2016/04/12/religion-in-eve...

For those blaming war on religion:

"Philip and Axelrod’s three-volume Encyclopedia of Wars, which chronicles some 1,763 wars that have been waged over the course of human history. Of those wars, the authors categorize 123 as being religious in nature, which is an astonishingly low 6.98% of all wars. When Islam is taken out of the equation it is cut in half to 3.23% of all wars."

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

So everyone can be as bitter, frustrated and hatefilled as you ??

• 6 months ago

I disagree. Because the believers are the salt of the earth and the light of the world. Without believers this whole evil world would be like the outer darkness.

Source(s): Matthew 22:13 & Matthew 5:13-15
    • ...Show all comments
    • Everard
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

I'm thinking Invisible spiritman is a Poe.

Quite frankly, if you need the carrot and stick idea of heaven and hell to behave, then you're not a moral person at all; you're a sociopath leashed by fear and self-interest 😎
      ~

• 6 months ago

No it wouldn't. It was through Divine intervention with the human race that caused mankind to evolve out of our wild state of evolution. So the longer our Intelligent Designer remains silent the sooner mankind will evolve back into the ancient wild apes He created us from. Once that happens the earth will become a place where no human would want to live.

Source(s): The God Yahweh our Intelligent Designer and the missing link in the chain of evolution.
  • 6 months ago

The world is a better place....Our collective lives lives enhanced by modern technology.. We lie twice as long as we did just 100 yeas ago..

Man's belief in God and the related religion/Tribalism got us to this point.

We have evolved beyond superstitions. Today we have real answers to questions. We don't need the professional religious charlatans to feed us delusions.

I rest my case....

• Jea
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Religion causes hatred and strife. It is a reason to fight and kill each other. We would have been better off if no gods were ever invented. But they were, and look at the mess that resulted from that!

• ...Show all comments
    • Jea
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

No Chi, I don't mean what ever lie you try to put in my mouth. I am not the hater here kid, and yep, I can prove that. Do you ever have one constructive or honest thing to say, ever? Why are you always on the attack, and without basis for that?

• barty
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

People would stop hating each other for believing in the "wrong" god, for one thing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.