If I take the father of my son to court for child support would he get any rights?

Your son's father ALREADY HAS PARENTAL RIGHTS. And, yes, he can, at any time, petition the court for shared custody, visitation and such. Your asking for child support has nothing to do with custody and visitation.

If your son's father wants to see him, then work with him or the courts will work it out for you.

AND, remember, child support whether received or not is NOT the ticket to a father seeing his son, or not.

Child support has nothing to do with your SON's right to know his father.

• Grace

Depends on judge and situation and put what is best for the child first.

• Athena

Get any rights?

He already HAS rights.

It is HIS child also.

You made sure of that.

The child support (which why haven't you done this already???) is a separate issue.

Thank you to all the answers I know not to go for child support because I'm not going to let him have any visitation and everyone that thinks I'm a ho well he hasn't been in the baby life in 5 years I have gave him chance after chance & guess what he is 5 he has even said that he wishes he would die now if that's not a dead bet dad than I don't know what one is because he is the one that left me for another woman when I was pregnant I work hard to support my son so I'm far from a ho

• Mr.Anonymous

Classic example of a BB-Mama that don't wanna share BB with BB-Daddy but still want's to get Paid,,witch don't make him a 'Deadbeat' as much it just makes you another Ho living with the consequences of bad choices!

• Foofa

You can't ask for child support if he doesn't already have parental rights. Taking him to court won't grant him any rights he doesn't already have (and may be choosing not to exercise). But it's not uncommon for a noncustodial parent to suddenly decide they want full or shared custody rather than have to pay child support. If you want to get rid of him completely you'd have to try to strip him of his parental rights.

He ALREADY has rights.. Child support or not.

Yes.

By determining paternity he would be able to gain visitation rights, if he sought them and give him the opportunity to sue for shared custody. . And visitation would be granted regardless of the custody agreement and regardless of whether or not he was up to date with child support. Deadbeat Dad's still get visitation rights.

• Ann

Maybe you should have used birth control.

• Whitli9 months agoReport

He was planed then the father walked out when he found out it was going to be hard

Of course, he'd probably get half the custody.

You mean if the court finds in your favor?

Yes, he will. You want him to support his son and not be allowed to see him?