How do I stop a toilet flapper from turning?

I have an older toilet (possibly Church Xcite model, That s what s on the toilet seat lid, but can t find a name on the actual toilet)that is leaking at the flapper, but the flapper isn t worn out.. the problem is the whole flapper is rotating on the flush valve and causing it to misalign. Is there something to tighten to stop from turning when the chain is pulled to flush?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

If you have a toilet flapper that goes over the overflow tube and it's rotating itself out of alignment then what you need to do is you need to turn off the water to the tank. Take the old flapper off and clean the overflow tube very well and make sure that it's bone dry. Then you get a new toilet flapper. Get a good one that has either a built-in clamp or get yourself some silicone rubber glue the kind that they sell at the auto parts store to seal windshields make sure it's the stuff that smells like vinegar put it on the tube where the flapper slides up and down and get it inside the flapper ring position at correctly and wait overnight while it cures it won't be moving anymore after that.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Paul
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

The type I'm used to seeing has two rubber ears on it which hook over two posts on opposite sides of the flush valve, keeping it in the correct position. Maybe yours has come unhooked. Alternatively, if there are hooks on the flush valve and you have no ears on the flapper you have the wrong flapper.

• 6 months ago

If its not worn out then its not the correct type of flapper for your toilet. The right type will fit securely and not rotate. Or you may have the chain too tight, let out a few links and see if it helps.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.