Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 6 months ago

What do you think about the plaque mounted on a bare rock in a ceremony on Island's former glacier Okjokull?

It is Iceland's first glacier lost to climate change and it reads "In the next 200 years all our glaciers are expected to follow the same path. This monument is to acknowledge that we know what is happening and what needs to be done. Only you know if we did it."

Favorite Answer

Powerful words. It's quite shocking to see the older generation have so little concern for the world they leave their children and grandchildren.

• Ludwig

These are the inbred kids who put a bunch of 14 year olds in charge of their countries finance ministry, then decided to not pay any bills to foreigners ( that worked well!), and because they couldn't work out what had happened, put all the country's bankers in jail to see if the elves and trolls would fix it all for them.

At least they will not look stupid when the ice returns as the plaque will be lost. These things are cyclical, think of Greenland.

200 years we will all be dead and have no idea if this is true or it's all hot air (no pun intended).

Well one glacier is not much to go by, it was also on a volcanic peak so may have had other issues beyond global warming. As I think Solar Gas is trying to claim. Of course this ignores a few things as deniers often do, globally most mountain glaciers are shrinking, sea ice in the Arctic is shrinking, glacial ice in the Antarctic is shrinking.

All this is supported by real data, deniers of course dispute this data, but trying to get them to offer anything real that really invalidates this data is much like having teeth pulled by a blacksmith, painful,dangerous and fruitless.

This glacier is not in Iceland, does not have the issues of the one in Iceland (it was in fact much larger) but it’s gone.

https://climate.nasa.gov/climate_resources/4/graph...

I don't understand. Do these idiots want MORE glaciers? Do they want them growing so we all freeze to death? The earth has been going through these cycles for millions of years. It was doing so long before man was around and it will continue to do so long after we are extinct.

• JimZ

It is a monument to nonsense. Who cares about frozen water moving slowly down a hill. I tend to prefer warm meadows with life to a cold dead frozen wasteland but I'm funny that way. I don't tend to believe in things just because people tell me to.

• Climate Realist

I will take the ice as it is better than Florida being under water.

We are all gonna die in 10 years. So I don't have time to worry about every little thing.

Nothing but Alarmist propaganda. It was Iceland's smallest glacier and it vanished in 2014, so what?

Greenland's largest glacier the Jakobshavn Glacier has been advancing again since 2016 @ 28 feet / year.

The Sun is still transitioning into the predicted solar grand minimum cycle and scientists will probably announce this next year with the beginning of solar cycle 25.

• Barry UK

Sun cooling earth warming, I would say check your method and figures again one of them is most likely in error.