Karter asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 6 months ago

Why is Japanese culture much more popular than Chinese culture in the US?

Favorite Answer

Like anyone in the us could honestly tell the difference. We get most of our exposure through anime which is far from an accurate representation of Japanese life.

• Zapata

In whose opinion?

• Todd

I don't see it. Where I live we have 2 Japanese places to eat at, and like 14 Chinese places if not more. We don't have an "area" for either.

A couple things....

- Japanese culture is "new wave" for the US, Chinese is old school for being popular. There are other factors that don't apply directly. For one, China sits on top of the largest supply of precious metals. Japan has always tried to be expansionist. One thing that works for them is what they have to offer looks exotic to the west, and therefore trendy.

I don't believe that.

Out of ALL the people living here, you think Japanese culture is the most popular? Proof please.

I believe that there are pockets of people here and there who enjoy different cultures and not all are Asian.

Because most Americans believe they were at war with the Chinese in the 1940s.

Anime's reallyyyy popular