Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 11 months ago

how come people these days are intellectually lazy and don't read books anymore?

when I say read books, I don't mean comic books, or picture books, or magazines. I am talking about books that actually give intellectual stimulation and knowledge like books relating to art, politics, religion, philosophy, science.

most people these days are boring and generic robots that look at their cellphones or social media profiles, especially young kids

what happened to the good ole days when you actually had heroes, intellects. scholars?

@bone alone,

well you just proved my point about intellectual laziness

btw there is nothing intellectually stimulating about learning how to build something, that is a poor man's example

• Ala

I still read books, and paper ones at that. But not as much as in the pre-internet days.

• susan

Smart phones diverted our attention from books.

• Tony11 months agoReport

someone stop me for reading becased I was under her control if this help westchiff gym across thear ask about the guy who could not leave when opening front door

• Diana

I read both books and the internet. BTW, hardly a day goes by when I'm not reading a book.

Like you they are online.

I would argue that reading books may be the intellectually lazy way to challenge your brain. It's like the slow boat to china for people addicted to information. Actually I wouldn't consider reading books lazy but perhaps a way to savor the information in a slow and methodical way, sort of like mental foreplay. Reading books may produce a deeper understanding and appreciation of the topic, but if your goal is to learn a bit about everything, books are definitely the slow route if you are a person with many, many interests. In terms of ignorant people, they have been around forever, where it has always been a challenge to find another intellectual to have a stimulating conversation with.

You need to find the time and moment to read a book. If you work full time and have other responsibilities (children, chores...), the chances are you can only spare a few minutes to read a day. I know several "old" people that read many books (mostly out of pleasure) and others that don't. My mother reads a book every two-three years, my father much less. Some of my late relatives were illiterate, so they had to make a big effort to read a book or anything. This doesn't mean they were stupid or lazy: many run their own business and worked full time. Books, especially the scientific ones, were for people that could afford an education back in the day. I've finished reading the twilight saga. I'm not sure if it gave me too much intellectual stimlation, but it was fun and easy to read.

I read three or four books a week as well as four or five scientific papers for the university course I am doing. I also read books for pleasure but they come after I've read the necessary ones except for audiobooks which I listen to when driving. If other people don't read books, that is their loss and no concern of mine.

They seem to have the attention span of an apple,that's why we're plagued by inane 'reality' shows on tv.

not reading books doesn’t mean they aren’t reading, some people read manga all the time and people are just intellectually lazy because they don’t need to be smart

Why should I waste my time reading something when I can go on the internet and get an answer in less than a second.

I can also watch YouTube if I need to learn something. If I need to learn how to build a cabinet, somebody will have a video on how to do it. No need to read a book.