Does being good at something run in the family?

I've always wondered if being good at a certain subject runs in the family. I personally really enjoy technology and am pretty good at it. I then discovered that my mothers brother and father are both really good at technology as well. Is this a coincidence or is there such thing as this??

My brother helped design the F16 ....... I am almost homeless........ was that your point?

• rick

Being RECOGNIZED as being good at something runs in the family. The ability often is only average, but father and brother are recognized as "good at it" so, therefore YOU are "good at it" too.

Well, there's this thing called DNA, and you inherit mental traits just like you inherit a certain shape of nose or a tendency to gain weight or being slim. That said, I don't think it works like a "photocopy". My father, for example, has a great brain for math, I not so much, but I do have a capability for abstraction (for example, to "envision" music), which I know it comes from that trait in him (and a bit from my mother too).

Talents are always for the benefit of others.

All talent is given by God - He is the source.

• C

I think so, but I wouldn't care to speculate whether it's down to an innate way of thinking or whether the family fosters a particular way of thinking. I mean, if you grew up in a family where you were told to shut up and stop being annoying every time you asked "why?" you'd be bound to have a different way of thinking about things than if your parents guided you through thinking logically about things and not letting you get away with stopping to think when things got hard. The culture of thinking is set way before formal schooling. My mother was a teacher with a degree in child development and she could always tell what kind of a family a child came from by how they reacted to any kind of problem solving scenario.