I got scratched by something rusty it’s not a deep cut it barely bleed I had a tetanus shot like 6 years ago will I be fine?

• Edna

The bacteria that causes tetanus isn't found in rust alone. It can be found on rusty metal objects that have been buried in contaminated soil for YEARS.

You had a tetanus shot 6 years ago. A tetanus shot is good for 10 years from the time you receive it. If you're worried, you can go to your doctor now and spend your money and get another tetanus shot. It's not necessary, but it won't hurt you if you do.

• Roddy

Rust does not cause or encourage tetanus. Tetanus lives in soil and so only something contaminated by soil (rusty or not) can give you tetanus.

The tetanus shot is valid for 10 years, but if your memory of when you had it is dim, you may have had yours more than 6 years ago. Your doctor can advise if anothert shot is desirable now.

• kelvin

you still don't need a needle

As long as it's a wound that can be fully cleaned & washed with soap or antiseptic - and you have done that - it's fine.

The danger is from penetrating wounds, eg. if you get stabbed by things like old screws and nails, where you cannot clean the full depth if the injury.

Also, the tetanus bug lives in soil, especially where animals have been kept - it's basically something like the horse version of a flu-like illness, but with very different symptoms if people are infected.

Things that have been in the ground are the possible hazards - not specifically rusty things.

ps. A proper tetanus vaccination usually needs several shots to have a lasting effect; then another series as a "booster" after ten years or so is supposed to be good for lifetime immunity.

If you have never had the full course, it's worth getting it done regardless.

• Tavy

Shots last for 10 years.

• mokrie

Call the doctor and be sure how long your shot lasts. They can look up when you got it.

You should be fine! I have had my shot 12 plus years ago and had my fair share of rusty cuts and scraps and still going. Just normal first aid of clean up and care.

Yeah, you'll be fine,

put some Hydrogen peroxide on it.