o_O asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 11 months ago

How to file taxes... confused with my situation.?

The past 3 years I moved around quite a bit. Got some silly little restaurant jobs that I didn't even do for long and then transitioned to stripping while moving from Miami to Phoenix, to Miami again. I was hardly making much as a dancer because I wasn't consistent. I recently moved to LA and got this odd job called being a Karaoke Hostess. I sit down with guest, have drinks, dance, sing karaoke, and hang out. Nothing illegal just entertainment. I get booked about 3 times a night which can range from 400-600$ a night. It is all cash and I a very under the table job. How would I claim taxes? I do this full time and have no time for another job. What can I do about this.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Your situation is complicated enough that you'll probably want to talk to an accountant. Places like H&R Block are pretty affordable. This might be tricky because if you're earning enough in cash under the table and your employer isn't issuing you a 1099 that employer could be committing fraud.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 11 months ago

If the payments are cash there is no "paper trail" to identify that you have received any income on which to pay taxes. It would, however, probably be unwise not to claim some income as the IRS would expect that income. I suggest talking to other people who do what you do and possibly an accountant with clients in similar work.

• 11 months ago

you are self-employed for tax purposes. You file fedral Schedules C and SE, plus form 1040 and CA forms 140 plus schedules. Obviously, you have to keep records of how much you receive and report that as your gross income.

Source(s): retired CPA
  • 11 months ago

What you have to do is file the same kind of state and federal income tax return that everyone else does. You declare ALL of your income and pay taxes on it. Since you are self employed you all have to pay the 15% FICA. It's a federal crime not to do it.

• o_O11 months agoReport

I was planning on doing it, hence why I asked for help. Would I file as an independent entertainer? And when in the year do I do this?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Bill
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Legally you should keep records of every dollar you earn and file tax returns. If your employer doesn't withhold taxes, you'll owe tax, you won't get a refund.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.