College Financial aid payment question?

Hello, So for winter 2019 I received financial aid which was about 3200 for that semester, and they are saying I owe all of it back. Heres the story, A couple months later after the semester finished. Mid during summer my schools financial aid president calls me in to go into the office and that he needs to talk to me. So they said there was a mistake and I was actually declined for financial aid and it even shows up on their system that im not suppose to receive any for that semester/previous. So they said that one of the financial aid people messed up and sent the money to me on accident and that I owe all of it back. So, long story short. Do I have to pay all of it back even though it wasn't my fault. And they told me after the semester ended and all. They said theres nothing they can do to help.


PS. They even said it was their fault. But since I received the money i need to pay it back. But i spent it all

2 Answers

  • di
    Lv 4
    12 months ago

    An error on the school's part results in the SCHOOL owing the funds back to their source - but once the school pays it back, some schools WILL try to recoup their losses by billing the student. Some schools absorb the loss. I would suggest that you make an appointment with the school's Dean or President. YOU did not make a mistake, a school employee did...… Ever run a cash register? If so, you KNOW that if "your" register comes up short at the end of your shift, the store will try to collect the shortage from you - your school is trying to run after the customer instead of the employee at fault. Suggest to the Dean or President that the school's financial aid office made the mistake and that you accepted the funding in good conscience. Maybe you can cut a deal.

  • nancy
    Lv 7
    12 months ago

    Unfortunately, federal regulations require that the school correct any errors, even if they occurred during a previous year. If you weren't eligible for the funds, then you aren't entitled to keep them and must repay them. If it was a school error, then most likely the school had to return the funds to the federal government, and they are now asking you to reimburse them. If that's the case, then you may have a little room for negotiation. It's not likely that they will forgive the entire debt, but you could ask for terms such as being able to pay over time, or cancelling a portion of the charges.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.