Am I too old when I start studying acting at the age of 21?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

I say go for it.

• Login to reply the answers
  • John P
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Depends what you want to do with "acting". Go for it. Maybe start by joining a local drama group ("community theater" in USA) and seeing how the whole business of make a production happen goes along.

• Nope, I'm 26, self taught, look half my age & hoping to move to LA soon :D

• Pope
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

No I know plenty of performers that did

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

Not at all. Alan Rickman did not attend RADA until he was 26.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No, but in the UK you'd have to graduate from a top drama school (which takes three years) before you could expect to get any real auditions.

Also, to get a place at any drama school you'd need to have already had at least three years of basic training at a good acting school, and also have had years of dance classes and singing lessons.

They'd expect you to have A Level Drama, Theatre Studies or similar, and ideally another in English Literature or Psychology both at high grades. You should also have been performing regularly with a good youth or community theatre, taking mostly leading roles.

So if you've done none of that yet, and of course if you have huge talent, it's going to take you six years to get all that training done.

The drama schools all charge a lot of money to attend, usually a total of about £30k, depending on where you live in the UK. They're also extremely hard to get into, as each gets over 5,000 applicants every year but only offers about 24 places. They take only the best.

And even after all that hard work, like almost all actors, you're unlikely to ever get more than a few days' paid acting work a year and will have to work in an ordinary job most of the time, taking time off for auditions, rehearsals, etc. Making a living from acting is rare.

Good luck!

• 6 months ago

If you're any good no.

• Definitely not!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.