Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 4 months ago

Should I worry about a small piece of wood behind my dogs gums?

My sister, and brother in law were over working on something outside. Mu dog wanted to spend time with them, so they said it's fine, and they'll keep an eye on her. Well, I went out, and noticed my dog was chewing on a stick. Just now I noticed a very small piece behind her gum. It's probably the size of a flea. Maybe smaller. Shes gotten things stuck in her gums before, but I'm usually able to take my fingernail, and drag it out by the end, but this ones too deep. I was trying to get it out, but her gum was getting irritated, and started to bleed. Do you think the tissue will eventually push it out, or should I take more jurassic measures. I've had stuff stuck in my gums before, and ended up fine. Dont know if it's the same things with dogs though. It's not causing her any discomfort right now. I doubt she has any idea anything's there.

If you cannot easily get it, you should probably have a vet look at it. It could be longer and a lot deeper in than it looks.

Imagine how painful a splinter feels when it's stuck in your finger. Now, imagine how uncomfortable you feel when you have something stuck in your gums that you can't get out. Sometimes the body is rather amazing and works out foreign objects such as splinters out on it's own. But I wouldn't trust that to be the case here. The exam shouldn't cost a whole lot, and neither would the proper removal of the splinter. But an infection and an abscess would be painful and potentially life threatening for your dog and disastrous for your wallet. Why chance it?

• Ocimom

If left in the gum, it WILL get infected. Please take your dog to the vet to have it removed.

Take your dog to the vet... You see many woods are poisonous . Many evergreens are very capable of killing a dog. The whole Eew and Laburnum family for example: along with many of the sycamore family also. The great majority of wood splinters cause infection anyway so if you cant get it out the vet must

Source(s): Shepherd

I suggest a vet.

If this was my dog, we’d be going to the vet tomorrow.

This will infect and cause an abscess and so needs dealing with. I would definitely see a vet with this.

Get your vet to check and extract. If you just leave this, infection will probably set in.

No, Puppy will eventually swallow wood and digest cellulose nutrients.

I would stop trying to remove it and simply inspect the area for a couple of weeks. It will probably work it's way out and be swallowed.

Regardless as to whether or not she's aware, she should get checked by a vet. If it stays stuck it could cause infection and a gum infection is not something you'd want her to go through.