Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 11 months ago

Was this person rude to behave like this or is it perfectly fine social manners, read below?

So my great aunt was invited to a family cook out my grandmother was having. The invite was to my great-aunt. She brought her son who is single and has no kids. My grandfather, her brother, said there was nothing wrong with her bringing him and the party was casual. My Mom and my grandmother were mad since there was not a formal invitation to the son though they both said it was nothing against the son personally.

So was the great-aunt rude to do this since the party was casual? She did not ask my grandfather but it was a casual party and she occasionally brings him when it is something casual. He is 37 and never married, kind of keeps to himself. A nice guy and a little chatty but not loud or anything.

I ask cause my Dad sometimes asks me to join him at casual stuff my two aunts have. One I know does not mind but now I am afraid the other might. Was my great-aunt rude today?

Of note---When it was a formal country club dinner for my grandfather's 85th she did not bring this son along and just came solo (as that event was more formal).

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

It's always nice to inform a host if you're bringing someone with you. But as this great aunt's son is always family I can see how she'd think it was okay to just bring him.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

sounds like she was rude

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

Depends on the family.

Generally speaking, "family" events are open to family members especially if they are casual pot-luck events and not sit-down hosted meals.

IMO if one doesn't want certain family members to attend, one sends written invitations addressed specifically to those who are invited and one doesn't call it a "family" cook-out.

Some might think it a bit rude that the hostess didn't bother to include her own nephew to a so-called "family cook-out". Is there a reason he was excluded?

• 11 months ago

Your great aunt should not have shown up with the son-you don't just bring folks along when invited to a party. I would kind of wonder why your grandmother wouldn't have asked or mentioned that he could come though--its a family cookout-right? but still--the host/hostess prepares enough food for a certain amount of people-sometimes that "extra" person eats enough for 3 people! why should the others who were invited have to do with less?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 11 months ago

It was extremely rude and presumptuous. Whether it is a casual or a formal gathering makes no difference whatsoever. Your great aunt should have asked if she could bring him. Without an invite, he should NOT have tagged along.

• `
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

Was there an invite and what did it say?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.