Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 6 months ago

How does my family and I rent an apartment with no credit on a fixed income of $2,500 per month?

We live in California and have been living out of motels for years ever since we abandoned our house we lived in our whole life because we couldn t afford the mortgage anymore. My mom never used a credit card in her life, and no one will let us rent an apartment without credit.

Our rent range is anywhere from $0-$1,200 and there is plenty of places in this range where we live.

Long story short since I am too exhausted to write anything further; and just want to go to sleep; Mom now wants to apply for a credit card, doesn't know how or how long it will take to build credit and establish the card, wants it done as quick as possible.

If she foreclosed on a home then she does have credit. She has BAD credit. Most landlords will not rent to her with bad credit. Those that do will often require a bigger deposit.

You CANNOT afford $1200/ mo in $2500 income. The rent should never be more than 1/3 of the total household income. So the most you can afford is $830/ mo.

What your mother has is BAD credit . In a seedy part of town you may find a landlord willing to rent to your family.

The problem is you have a foreclosure on your credit. You're just going to have to find someone who will accept that.

Your Mom needs to go to the bank and apply for the credit card with her bank. there are nice people who sit at desks in the bank and they will help her do everything.

One thing though..Avoid Wells Fargo bank.

So, sounds like there was a mortgage at some point...so its not about building credit so much as repairing it...

if u abandoned your house because u could not afford to pay mortgage your mother does have a credit history. it is very, very, very bad. and she will not get a credit card either with that history. try for governmental assistance

find a sympathetic landlord

is that 2500 actual cash or is that reduced by any taxes..even without any taxes taken out, unlikely you could be approved for more than 1000 rent......less with multiple people.

its hard to get a credit card without credit history now a days...may need to start wit a secured credit card

and yeah, the foreclosure causes bad credit.....i think it needs to be 7 years to clear.

you could rent a house in Rachel, NV for like $500/mo. Also, Cedarville, CA (very pretty and good schools), Winnemucca, NV, Moapa, NV, pretty much any small town in NV, UT and far Eastern Calif. In short-moving will increase the quality of life for your family

Source(s): TX, KY, TN?

The most you could get IF you had a good rental history would be a $700 a month apartment. (28%)

Your story makes no sense because if you let a house be foreclosed you would have BAD CREDIT.

No credit is better than bad credit by far but both are problematic. Some small places might accept 2-3 months rent in advance instead of good credit. Most will not.

When I rented my first apartment, I had great credit but no rental history and I could not prove my income. They were not going to rent to me until I told them I could bring them a copy of my brokerage statement showing I think $30,000 in value. (I lived at home until I was 30 so I had saved a good bit from that)

They accepted the brokerage statement.