Blake asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 12 months ago

How long should getting refunded for an home insurance claim take?

I had to pay for a sewage line break, my home insurance is with nationwide. They said I would have to cover the deductible and the rest they would cover. So I'm out 4 g's. Its been two months since the claim was started. I called my agent and he said he would look at it and review my claim. I haven't received any communication with him. I've sent him several e-mails with no return. From your experience with a home insurance claim, what is a realistic amount of time to see a return check ?

• car253

You should be talking to the claims department, NOT your agent. A sewer breakage may not be covered because it is a maintaince issue. You better speak DIRECTLY to the claims rep at Nationwide ASAP, NOT YOUR INSURANCE AGENT.

Have the damages all been repaired, and the insurance company notified? Are the amount of damages being disputed? Have all the receipts been turned over? Reasonable, is about three weeks after all of this has been completed.

Your agent should be assisting you with this.

However, dig up the claim number and call Nationwide directly. Its possible they are waiting on some additional documentation or something...no way for us to know for sure.

• Eva

Skip the agent and go directly to Nationwide customer service. If you have submitted all the final paperwork, it shouldn't take more than 30 days to get your check.

• lucy

Do you know your claim number and the name of your adjuster? If not, then call Nationwide and find out.

Your agent can submit the claim or handle disputes (if) needed. The adjuster will be the one to review and pay, thus you need to talk to him/her.

As for the time frame? I am a retired claim adjuster who (never) handled homeowner claims.