I play guitar, how come certain days I’m really good and other days I can’t even do one thing right? It frustrates me?

Hard to say. I think the way the brain works is that it actually is processing stuff (learning) while we’re not doing the activity. So maybe if you’re pushing it every day hour after hour, you’re not giving your brain time to process it? I realize that there’s ‘muscle memory’ in those fingers but that’s got to be controlled by the brain just like everything else, I imagine, consciously or otherwise.  I’ve read that if you’re studying for an exam after you study really hard it’s good to do something that has nothing to do with the studying. Like go to a movie or whatever. Because you’re giving the brain a chance to actually process all the information by leaving it alone and using a different part of it to do something else? Who knows? A neuroscientist I’m not...

• Emdog

One of the factors that separate us amateurs from the pros

My experience is in establishing new behaviors and changing habits. The trick is to think about the circumstances where you do best, then recreate those circumstances to practice and perform in. You might want to "clear your plate" by getting home from school and spending an hour or so getting your responsibilities out of the way. Then eat, take a shower or bath, put on "performance clothes" and the shoes you might wear.Arrange your "stage" -- a stool and microphone (it doesn't have to be plugged in.) Set a timer to last about the length of time of a set. Think about starting with a song that is easy but invigorating. Then add the rest of what you want to play. When you run into a difficult part (timing or fingering or whatever) practice just those few bars about ten times, then incorporate that into your whole song. Recreate the same steps, as many of the conditions as possible, every time. This doesn't mean you can't change things for the better or shake things up, but try a basic routine, including clothes and shoes.

Because some days you feel it and some days you dont. Dont be like those other whiteboys who play robotic. A Dsus2 isnt schit if you dont feel it.

Always feel what you are playing.

Source(s): nothing
  • Murzy

Practice, Practice, Practice

I recommend stretching before you play. Also start off with the 2 easiest songs you know. Then unleash.