Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 11 months ago

Should I get a job or go to a alternative high school and get my diploma? or will I just waste more time if I go?

I dropped out of my regular high school I can’t go back I was stupid.

Get a job education is meaningless

• C

What are you doing about your anxiety? What support are you getting? I think we both know that you can't put living on hold indefinitely. The longer you think about doing something and then don't do anything the worse it's going to get.

I would say this. Don't be so black and white in your thinking. Even when you try and fail think of it as an education and an opportunity to learn why something didn't work and try a new angle. Also, I think not having enough to do messes with your head.

If I were advising someone close to me, assuming that they had parental support, here's what I would suggest:

Find a job that's fairly physical, part time or full time. This is not your forever job but a means to helping your anxiety. Getting out of your head by doing physical work will help. Being able to see the results of your labor will help. Being accountable for the result of your physical labor will help. Mixing with people not your age will help. Having routine will help.

Once you get over the shock of starting work (give a few months), think about high school. You might find the adult learning style of teaching chimes with you much better. I know several people who quit high school and went back as adults. Specifically doing a GED aimed at adults was a much better experience for them. You can go to college or trade school later, but life is very much harder without a high school diploma, so you need to get that sorted.

Talk to your parents, even if it seems awkward. They will be more willing to give you leeway to try out different paths if they can see hat you have a plan. I don't know what treatment you're receiving but some meds are good at lowering anxiety, though you may find the side effects intolerable, but if they work for you it may be enough to get past the initial panic when you try something new so that you can tolerate it long enough for the panic to subside naturally.

• donnie

Getting your diploma or GED is the best move. Some people have made it successfully but more times then not you will be screwed over because most jobs that are above entry level require money.

• Murzy

You must get a diploma or you are going nowhere in life.

your life, your decision ...........................................