.
. asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 months ago

Would you tell anyone to take their MAGA hat off?

If you saw a person (friend, colleague, coworker, family member or random stranger) wearing a MAGA hat at work, family reunion or public place, would you tell them to take it off?

Of course not.........what right do I have to tell other people how to dress?

and in fact, I prefer they leave it on. It's easier to identify imbeciles that way.

• Daisy

If it was a coworker wearing the hat, then, yes- I would ask them to take it off. We are not allowed to promote politics of any kind at work. (We re a public library). If a patron came in with one on, I would not ask him/her to remove it. As long as it doesn t have any profanity on it, they are welcome to wear it. Now, if they started discussing politics with us, we have to stop it. We will not stop a regular private conversation- even if it involves politics as long as it s civil and doesn t become too loud and disruptive.

• Foofa

It's not my place to dress other people (nor to spare them embarrassment). But I live largely in L.A., CA and Vancouver, BC where you don't see much of this anyway.

If I ended up being talked to by them I'd tell them what's up. "I don't want to talk to you, I don't believe in what that hat represents." Or catch their eye, look up at their hat and grimace/"yikes". You probably want to engage as little as possible, unless you're looking to spend your time arguing with the kind of person that wears a MAGA hat.

If it was more my party than theirs (like a house party), I'd tell them "that's not appropriate here."

If I were their boss in any way, or if it was my party, I'd tell them "we don't wear things like that here."

If they're far away in a park, I wouldn't say a thing. If they're close, one could say something like... "Hey. A lot of people here just wanna chill from politics for a moment. I don't want to see 'Hillary 2020' or "God is fake" t-shirts or anything. Would you please set it aside for a bit?" but don't make it sound like a question. Idk man. It's pretty egotistical from the start walking around like that.

If it were a friend, I'd tell them "c'mon dude, I don't wanna see that. For 1, it's distracting, ..."

imo it'd be really funny to tell them (in passing, to convey that you don't care about them enough to really engage, thus Winning the Social Interaction) that they're virtue signalling.

• Shawn3 months agoReport

Or you could just mind your damn business.

No but I wouldn’t have much to do with the person.

no, they have every right to wear it

• A.J.

not among educated people

• donnie

No I would not tell them to take it off. It is their right to wear it. I may tell them I like their hat.

• donnie

I don’t though. I may one day you never know. We need farmers their very important.

• <3

If they can stand by everything the hat represents then they can leave it on. And that means standing by someone who fat shames, commits fraud (trump university for example), is sexist, and racist to name a few. Someone that stands by that isn't someone I would want around.

If they want to wear the hat of a traitor, that is their problem.

• Edna

Grundoon: Why do you think wearing a hat that says "Make America Great Again" makes someone a traitor? That's what MAGA on a hat means.

• A.J.

I would tell them they are an uneducated fool and ask them specifically why they support the blithering idiot in the White House.

• A.J.

It is a political statement supporting Trump because "great" is debated for meaning and what makes it not great now and Trump is destroying US world image and environment and Trump's main suppotbase is in low education.