Can makeup safely be used a while after stated expiration?

I have a few makeup items I only use when I cosplay, usually once or twice a year. It stays untouched the rest of the time in a small makeup bag tucked away in my closet. I'm the sort of person who doesn't like wasting things, especially when they're barely used, and these days you can never be sure if... show more I have a few makeup items I only use when I cosplay, usually once or twice a year. It stays untouched the rest of the time in a small makeup bag tucked away in my closet.

I'm the sort of person who doesn't like wasting things, especially when they're barely used, and these days you can never be sure if product packaging is legitimate or just for legal protection, so I'm wondering if I can safely use my makeup again after a year or so since opening if it hasn't seen much light?
Mainly things like setting spray, translucent powder, eyeshadow, concealer sticks, etc... All of which say '12M' on the back of the packaging.