Channa asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 9 months ago

Can I Still Send a Debt Validation Letter, If I Recently Opened a Collection Letter From a Year Ago?

I recently moved back home from a different state and was given a box of mail from mostly last year. A notice from a collection agency was sent to me as of now a year ago(going by the date the letter says 8/2018). On top of that I recently found out that I was affected by the Equifax breach. Now I’m in panic mode! I want to send a debt validation letter because I don’t feel like this debt was mine and if it is I want PROOF! Please Help, I want to buy a house in 2-3 years I don’t want anything BAD on my credit report.... if I can still send one, do I put the day I opened the letter or the date they sent it.

Nope, way over due for that, and your credit breach is a stretch and will not fly in any form

There would be no point. You had 30 days to dispute it. Next time, have your mail forwarded. Having someone hang on it to it for a year is insane.

If the letter was from a year ago, you need to check the court records to see if there was a default judgement against you. If so, then your only recourse is to pay the amount of the debt. After 1 year, it is too late to ask for debt validation.

As a general rule, if you ask for validation, it is the day that they sent it that is the determining factor.

If you send a debt validation letter, you do not get proof. A debt validation letter means that they must give validation -- not proof. They are different. You well be very disappointed if you are hoping for proof.

If the thing is on your credit report, then you can send a dispute to the credit bureau (not the collection agency) at any time, but they give only "verification", not proof.

You do not get proof under any circumstances.

if it was 1 year ago shouldn't they have sent u another letter threatening to take legal actions? maybe it is a scam. just ignore it, how can someone do not remember whether they owe money for something or not is beyond me

The letter does not prove anything. And they ignore most of them.

Casn you send a debt validation letter? Sure. But, they can ignore it. Why, because the collection agency sent you a letter to your last known address which is all they have to do. Almost all credit applications have a clause that requires you to tell inform them when you move - you obviously didn't, so as far as they know, your home address was your legal address, so that's where the letter was sent - case closed, requirements met. If you go to court (of they sue) you can ask for proof that they own the debt (collection agencies have gotten smarter about keeping proper paperwork so this usually doesn't work anymore but it can't hurt to ask).

In the meantime, pull your credit report - you should see two defaults - one from the original creditor and one from the collection agency. Take it from there.

I'd pull my credit reports first from all 3 major bureaus and see if there are any charged off debts being reported.

145.5M people were impacted by the Equifax breach. So pretty much "everyone".

It's not something you have to worry about. You don't have any assets and you likely have bad credit.

To be blunt - you aren't the prime target to scam.

Sign up for the free credit reporting and check it every so often.

Read the letter to see what the next steps are with it.

- do you owe the company money that the letter is about? Then there is a pretty darn good chance that this is a legitimate debt.

You can send a letter whenever you want but ignoring it for one year isn't likely to do any good. Are you sure you don't already have a judgement against you.

- when you write a letter, you would use the date that you wrote the letter.

• Channa9 months agoReport

Well of course i will use the date I wrote it but I’m referring to the date I received it. When doing research online most sample letters say to write the date I got the call or letter