Do gold and diamonds really have any value?

Yes, I know a bit for electronic things but I think there is a really good chance that some African wondering around in the jungle would gladly trade the shining rock he found stuck between his toes for 2 cans of chicken soup and a can opener?

Like in the movie ... 'The Gods Must be Crazy'.

An African walks into a Chevy dealer and trades a cup full of 'shining rocks' for a new 2020 Corvette. See my point?

• Foofa
    Favorite Answer

Material things have only the value we humans are willing to give them. If gold couldn't be traded in for other material things it would be valueless.

• Zirp

diamonds have their uses in the industry, as they are quite hard.

Gold is quite practical for teeth-fillings, as you can chew it into shape.

It's also used in electonics

I got a problem with the way you're speaking about my people here.

When's the last time you went to Africa?

Gold as a good metal to prevent corrosion when it is electroplated or hammered on to another metal. It has some redeeming value in that sense. A diamond being the hardest mineral makes a very good tool for cutting through softer materials.

In various places throughout Africa water is more prized than shiny rocks. If you were starving in a wasteland and were offered a meal and a drink or a diamond you'd choose the meal and the drink. I know I would. Many likely gave up such riches without knowing their true worth. A lot of it was out right taken by force. Worth of stuff like that is simply based on rarity and looks. Diamonds and other gemstones and metals like gold look good and allow richer people to show others just how rich they are. There is an entire planet out there covered in solid diamond many times larger than earth. If that planet was somehow teleported here diamonds would lose all worth.

You're totally right! Now that I think about it, these stupid baboons don't have any concept of value. All africans are stupid apes roaming around the jungle, unable to feed themselves due to their own stupidity. They are so easy to take advantage of. You're a saint and a genius! Ima go exploit some Africans.

• Arthur Eyetis

Those are only valuable because Whites gave them worth, let those Africans take in a bucket full of shining rocks into a local village store next door and buy a load of (?)..

• ioerr

they have value because people will exchange other things to get them