Can someone explain to me this thing I noticed at the military funeral of my grandpa's?

So my grandpa died a few months ago. He was a gp and during WWII he served in the Marines in the pacific. He was buried with full honors. Marines in dress blues. 3 volley salute. Taps. The whole town was there. I never felt more proud of being his grandsone. However I noticed something odd: He was a Marine. How come the pallbearers were from Marines,navy,airforce,army? I was expecting just Marines. This is just something I noticed that sticked in my mind and didn't really think much about it right on the spot but now thinking back.. well I wonder how come there were members from all branches to do that task. What do you think?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

an Honor Guard frequently includes ALL the branches of the military.

It's meant to show respect...that no matter which branch you served in......You are still "One of US"----United States Veterans.

• Weasel McWeasel
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

Thank you. I have a stalker that likes to TD my answers, no matter how correct and accurate they are. It makes it seem like his d*ck is bigger or something. At least to him, anyway. Actually, it just proves he never served

• 4 months ago

An honor guard includes members from all branches because they are made up usually of retirees who are members of the local chapters. IT is very seldom that the honor guard is active duty member of the military.

• jojo4 months agoReport

I was stationed at Norfolk Va. MARTD, we were all active and trained reserves, also did Honor Guard duty. Marines.

• Albert
    Lv 5
    4 months ago

The difficulty of getting people to be tasked to perform such honors just isn't logistically possible to be footed by just one military branch. Read and see that you did get various good answers on what maybe truth. No there, so how could I respectively know. Such be true for anyone else.

Great job everybody in stating the possibilities reflecting the possibilities. Hope that they provided answers?

• RICK
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Common

Those people were reservists who volunteer for that duty

My little one horse town is too small to have any reserve centers or NG units so military honors for my father were by the VFW

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

As a sign of respect from all services.

• 4 months ago

Vets die every day. Pall bearers tend to be reservists from the local area and not all areas have enough reservists available.

• Daniel
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Most veterans are lucky to get 2 Reservists at their funeral, unless they were high ranking or were awarded one of the higher valor decorations. Unless he fit one of those categories, those were probably locals (and possibly vets or retirees) that volunteered.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

1. Unless the funeral was close to a USMC base there probably weren't enough Marines to do all the duties.

2. It's not unusual for other branches of the service to honor the deceased from other services.

• 4 months ago

All the services were honoring him.

• 4 months ago

because the active service does not ;provide service members for veterans funerals, there are just to many funerals of ww ll and korean war veterans today

so the honor guard was made up of volunteers, most not on active duty, but just local veterans.

• Albert
      Lv 5
      4 months agoReport

Echoing that the possibility is... Fitting that we can only guess, because that's all you can do.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.