in need of some serious advice, please help!?

hey guys so I need some advice on this situation I am having. at my place of work, my boss requires rides to work with me on a 15 minute commute. I do not mind giving rides this is not the issue, however, his vaping is causing me some problems. I have nothing against vaping because you do you, but I have something against it when I have severe asthma and my boss doesn't stop doing it in my car. it is bad enough that he vapes at our place of work (which he is not allowed to, it is stated in our policy), but I do not deem it as necessary for him to be doing this in my car. besides my asthma, I have severe allergies to scents to the point where my throat swells up. I have to take allergy medication every day before work because of this. I am scared to bring this issue up to him because after all, he is the boss. what can I do?

You can stop picking him up. When he asks why you didn't pick him up, tell him that he has no respect for you or the fact that people die from asthma attacks - he continues to vape in your car and around you at work, and your medical condition cannot take it. He will either apologize and shape up or he will fire you and if he fires you, tell him that you will sue him for wrongful termination - that you already consulted a lawyer about his vaping with your condition. Then ask him if he would like to rethink his firing you.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.

I normally don't endorse lying, but I'm going to make an exception. Tell him that your car insurance company doesn't allow you to drive someone if it is a required part of your job, so you have to drive alone or take public transportation.

Or, if you are willing to take the risk that your boss might retaliate, then go to his boss and explain that (1) he's violating the company's rules, and (2) you have rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act (I'm not sure that your condition is severe enough to qualify as a disability, but the boss's boss won't probably know either and probably won't want to risk a lawsuit).

I would definitely tell them that you didn't think to say anything at first because you don't have an issue with it but you are physically suffering from it now so they will have to hold off since you're having health issues. If they don't like that then they don't care about your wellbeing and rides end!

• Ann

Tell him not to. If he doesn't like it, he can find another way to get to work.

• Sarah10 months agoReport

i'm just scared he is going to fire me if I bring it up