How do I clean up Diatomaceous earth?

So a week from yesterday in response to a bug problem I ordered and applied diatomaceous earth to my room. I took a brush and scrubbed it into my carpet, my box spring (both the outer casing and inner section), my mattress cover, and the cracks around the floor in my room. I checked tonight and found no bug carcasses anywhere in my room. I intend to leave the earth in until next weekend to allow it 3 weeks to do its work. My question is that when the three weeks are up, do I need to use a special type of vaccum to do so? I currently have a Black and Decker vaccum cleaner but don't want to use it if it will tear up the machine on the inside.

you're not supposed to scrub it in....just dust the area

• Steve

The only way it'll tear it up is if the earth particles are too small for the B&D filter. Buy or rent a shopvac (I suggest 'buy' because they're very useful) and get a HEPA filter with it.

• Eva

It's not going to "tear it up". Some vacuums have trouble with powdery things though. You'll want to clean the filter thoroughly and change the bag (if it has one) after you use it. If you're really scared of using it, get a shop-vac. They're pretty cheap and it will save your good one.