t or F: washing machines were better 30 years ago?

Absolutely true. 30-years ago, manufacturers made things to last a long time.....today, we're in what they call a 'throw away' society.....things do not last long at all and we end up throwing too much away.

Somewhat true.

The older machines were very user friendly, which meant that less could actually go wrong with them. Although the agitator was great at cleaning the clothing, it also caused unnecessary wear and tear on the clothing.

I have a GE Harmony High Efficiency matching washer and dryer. They both have computer touch pads and neither work properly. The cost to fix them is $300 EACH, so I just remain frustrated. The computer keypad functions are such that you must figure out which wrong key to press in order to get the cycle you want. It is so annoying and incredibly maddening to have spent TWO GRAND on this set and they are pieces of crap because the keypads always malfunction. I am NOT spending another $600 to have them fixed.

So, these new and improved washers and dryers are just ways to increase the prices. I have friends who hate the front loaders because of mold issues. Apparently the washers are so air tight, they never dry out and create mold smells on their clothes unless they keep their front loader washing machine doors wide open. And, the manufacturers know about this issue because now they sell a special packet of cleaner to WASH THE WASHING MACHINE!!

True. The old machines cleaned the clothes better, but they also beat the **** out of them. The machines were built to last, the hell with your clothes.

Todays machines don’t clean clothes as well, but they are less violent on your clothes so the clothes last longer. The machines do not last as long.

• Mark

Mostly true. Washing machines almost always have electronic controls, whereas before they didn't. Also, that feature of new ones needing to refill if you open the door (and they usually OVERFILL for the load the second time). The old-fashioned Japanese impellers actually moved the clothes around, but these "agitator-less agitators" aka "impellers" don't circulate the clothes very well, unless you wash a VERY small load. (The same things are on the top of the load as when you put them in.)

Don't know. My machine is about 30 years old and I got for free. It works. Does not corner very well though and radio does not work. It is not something I use daily or buy yearly.

. Then there was the option of beating the clothes on a rock in the creek?

True. In my dads house he still uses the washing machine my grandparents owned. Still works the best compared to the one at my mothers house I used before I moved out.

• F

Not if yu buy a decent machine. I use to buy the cheapest ones I could but my present one was much more expensive but cleans so much better. Well worth the extra.

True. They were designed to last longer for sure. Today brand names mean next to nothing as made by very same manufacturers in South Korea. Somehow they have bought many brand names so can stick brand labels on what they like.

They didn't wash better. The new ones wash better. The older ones probably lasted longer.

T or f your mom did your laundry 30 years ago