Reaching out to English grammar experts please!?

I am taking a practice test for an upcoming national entrance exam and I need to understand why I got the following 3 questions wrong. The book offers no explanation as to why the other answers don’t fit. 1. Which of the following sentences is grammatically correct? (correct answer C, I chose A) A. After... show more I am taking a practice test for an upcoming national entrance exam and I need to understand why I got the following 3 questions wrong. The book offers no explanation as to why the other answers don’t fit.
1. Which of the following sentences is grammatically correct? (correct answer C, I chose A)

A. After receiving intravenous antibiotics, Jarod’s health improved.
B. Growing up, Tom’s father always read Tom a bedtime story.
C. Leaving the door open behind her, Meg stepped into the room.
D. Before traveling abroad, passports were obtained by the students.

2. Which of the following sentences is grammatically incorrect? (correct answer is B, I chose A&D)

A. The Lee’s had dinner at the Jones home.
B. The Lees had dinner at the Joneses’ home.
C. The Lees had dinner at the Jone’s home.
D. The Lees’s had dinner at the Jones’ home.

3. Select the best words for the blanks in the following sentence. (correct answer is A, I chose B)

If I ___ hit a home run, I ___ be chosen for the baseball team.
A. can, may
B. can, could
Update: Reaching out to English grammar experts please!