Reaching out to English grammar experts please!?

I am taking a practice test for an upcoming national entrance exam and I need to understand why I got the following 3 questions wrong. The book offers no explanation as to why the other answers don’t fit.

1. Which of the following sentences is grammatically correct? (correct answer C, I chose A)

A. After receiving intravenous antibiotics, Jarod’s health improved.

B. Growing up, Tom’s father always read Tom a bedtime story.

C. Leaving the door open behind her, Meg stepped into the room.

D. Before traveling abroad, passports were obtained by the students.

2. Which of the following sentences is grammatically incorrect? (correct answer is B, I chose A&D)

A. The Lee’s had dinner at the Jones home.

B. The Lees had dinner at the Joneses’ home.

C. The Lees had dinner at the Jone’s home.

D. The Lees’s had dinner at the Jones’ home.

3. Select the best words for the blanks in the following sentence. (correct answer is A, I chose B)

If I ___ hit a home run, I ___ be chosen for the baseball team.

A. can, may

B. can, could

Reaching out to English grammar experts please!

• JOHN
    Favorite Answer

A. After receiving intravenous antibiotics, Jarod’s health improved. [Incorrect because Jarod’s health didn’t receive the antibiotics, Jarod did]

B. Growing up, Tom’s father always read Tom a bedtime story. [Incorrect because Tom’s wasn’t the one referenced by ‘growing up’, Tom was the one].

C. Leaving the door open behind her, Meg stepped into the room. [Correct because Meg indeed was the one referenced by ‘leaving the door open’].

D. Before traveling abroad, passports were obtained by the students. [The students were the ones traveling abroad, not the passports – at any rate the students were meant, not the passports notwithstanding that the passports also were traveling].

A. The Lee’s had dinner at the Jones home. [The possessive of Joneses is required].

[Correct]

C. The Lees had dinner at the Jone’s home. [A plural is required]

D. The Lees’s had dinner at the Jones’ home. [A plural is required].

A. can, may

B. can, could

If I ___ hit a home run, I ___ be chosen for the baseball team. [may = it is possible that, could = am able to be – wrong because someone else other that I is doing the choosing, it is out of my control].

• Ms B4 months agoReport

Thanks for addressing each point.

• Roger

In the first set of sentences, the present participles modify the subject of the sentences; in the erroneous choices this modification does not make sense. Health itself literally cannot receive antibiotics. Jarod can, but not the abstraction "health." It's a dangling modifier. In the next sentence, same thing: Tom is growing up, not Tom's father—also a dangling modifier. Same with the next sentence: passports do not travel, people do. Whenever a present participle is used as an adjective at the start of a sentence it modifies the subject of the sentence. You have to be sure that the sentence makes literal sense.

In the next set of sentences the incorrect choices put apostrophes, denoting possession, in place of a simple "s" to denote a plural. This is a crudely illiterate error.

In the final sentence, "could" means only sheer possibility. "Could" does not take into account the judgment of the choosers based on other reasons. It accords more fully with the conditionality The sense of the sentence shifts subtly. (I'm not explaining this answer as well as the other cases.)

• Ms B4 months agoReport

Appreciate the detailed explanation.

For question 1, who received intravenous antibiotics? Jarod's health did not receive intravenous antibiotics. "health" is the subject of the sentence, and "improved" is the verb. Where do the antibiotics fit in?

For question 2, I believe all four choices are grammatically incorrect. The correct sentence should read, "The Lees had dinner at the Jones’ home." in my humble opinion. For the third question, I believe that "could" does not connect with the ability to hit a home run, while "may" probably does. But they are really splitting hairs on that one.

Cheers.

Michael E, I agree that option B is grammatically correct, which is why I did not choose it because the question asked for the "incorrect" sentence. It just threw me off because all the choices for question 2 seemed incorrect except option B. BUT, since it asked for the "incorrect" sentence it was hard to know which one to choose.

On question 2, Lees is a plural noun, the Joneses' is plural possessive adjective.

Option B is the only one with apostrophes and spelling correct.