Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 11 months ago

Why did these Japanese students do this?

I was a student who took part in an international program where students travel around the world to get an education in classrooms.

When I landed in Japan, my Japanese was so-so; not good and not bad. I was low intermediate level in it, so I could easily survive in Japan with it. I took Japanese language immersion classes so that really help with my proficiency. But when I got to Japan, there were multitudes of these young Japanese men and women at the international University I attended who asked me if I was American and so I told them I was. They also asked if I spoke English to which I replied yes.

Every time I walked by random Japanese students, they would ask me how to say such and such in English, many of them asking me to teach them English. Even when I spoke entirely in Japanese to them, they would try to respond entirely in English.

Like, what's up with that?

• Quinn
    Favorite Answer

Because they don't have the chance you do in going to another country to learn the language from a native speaker in an immersion setting. Seriously, are you that out of touch that you cannot understand why a Japanese person would ask you a native speaker for help with English?

Because they don't see you as a human, they see you as an object to be taken advantage of for their own benefit. They don't see you as someone who they can know better and be friends. They just see you as an object who speaks English and can be used for their advantage. Its their culture.

Which university did you attend? I guess it was an university where students are particularly anxious to learn English.

I don't believe your story. It just doesn't come off as something a well-travelled person would ask.

Most Japanese students have very few opportunities to actually use the English they learn in real conversation, so when they meet a native speaker it's not unusual for them to want to actually try and use the stuff they've been made to study since junior high school.

Why are you surprised? They want to learn to speak English, since they learn next to no speaking in school - only force-fed memorization of grammar/vocab through reading and writing.

If there is anything really strange, it would be asking if you are American, and then asking if you speak English.

Plus most have a stereotype of Japanese being almost impossible to learn for westerners. Anyone fluent in the language is seen as amazing - though there really are far more fluent speakers than they think. When I went somewhere by taxi, some taxi drivers gave a massive sigh of relief when I explain in detailed Japanese where I want to go. For students, I've had more than a few Japanese try to get to know me more for the purposes of being a walking dictionary and practice tool. Not all Japanese are like that however, and you need to find those who accept you for who you are, and not use you as a tool. Might be a lot harder for that at an international university though.