Why did these Japanese students do this?

I was a student who took part in an international program where students travel around the world to get an education in classrooms. When I landed in Japan, my Japanese was so-so; not good and not bad. I was low intermediate level in it, so I could easily survive in Japan with it. I took Japanese language immersion... show more I was a student who took part in an international program where students travel around the world to get an education in classrooms.

When I landed in Japan, my Japanese was so-so; not good and not bad. I was low intermediate level in it, so I could easily survive in Japan with it. I took Japanese language immersion classes so that really help with my proficiency. But when I got to Japan, there were multitudes of these young Japanese men and women at the international University I attended who asked me if I was American and so I told them I was. They also asked if I spoke English to which I replied yes.

Every time I walked by random Japanese students, they would ask me how to say such and such in English, many of them asking me to teach them English. Even when I spoke entirely in Japanese to them, they would try to respond entirely in English.

Like, what's up with that?