Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSTDs · 10 months ago

HSV-1 worries?

Hi everyone, I am a 21 year old female. I have recently gotten into my first relationship. My boyfriend and I are both virgins, and haven’t even kissed anyone until I started dating my current boyfriend. We recently had the STI talk, and during this talk, I remembered a cold sore I had 5+ years ago. I honestly had forgotten all about it until now. I am planning on getting tested for STIs, just to be safe, but I read that STI testing doesn’t usually test for HSV. What do STI tests usually test for? Should I be concerned about the cold sore I had 5+ years ago? I never went to the doctor for it at the time, so I never got a diagnosis. I haven’t had another cold sore since. Any help/ advicewould be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• If you have cold sores, those are caused by HSV1 / oral herpes. Usually they're passed during child hood, by being innocently kissed by a close friend or family member that has cold sores. You don't have to have sex to get cold sores on your mouth. But they can be passed from your mouth to your partner's genitals, if you give them oral sex while you have a cold sore.

Sti tests usually test for chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis. You can always ask your doctor what they test for when they do an sti test. HSV is tested for separately you have to ask them to test you for HSV. If you do get another cold sore, see your doctor and ask them to test you for HSV.

• Pippin

Cold sores are on your lips. Genital Herpes is on your genitals. Unless you had an active breakout when you were kissing your boyfriend, you can't pass anything on to him. And unless you are giving him oral sex when you have a breakout, you can't give him an STI.