Please help me with a math problem?

Gary's Harvest, worth its weight in gold, consists of 4000 bananas. The market place where the stash can be cashed in is 1000 miles away. However, Gary and his friendly gorilla must hike through many jungles to get to the market, and can only carry up to 1000 bananas at a time. Furthermore, having his friendly... show more Gary's Harvest, worth its weight in gold, consists of 4000 bananas. The market place where the stash can be cashed in is 1000 miles away. However, Gary and his friendly gorilla must hike through many jungles to get to the market, and can only carry up to 1000 bananas at a time. Furthermore, having his friendly gorilla with hum, Gary and his gorilla must eat, so they eat one banana during each mile they hike (GARY AND HIS GORILLA CAN NEVER BE WITHOUT BANANAS). How many Bananas can Gary and his gorilla get to the market. THE ANSWER CAN'T BE ZERO!!

I did U of 1= 4000. U of n= 4000-2(n-2) and got -2, I don't think this is right though.