Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 9 months ago

Please help me with a math problem?

Gary's Harvest, worth its weight in gold, consists of 4000 bananas. The market place where the stash can be cashed in is 1000 miles away. However, Gary and his friendly gorilla must hike through many jungles to get to the market, and can only carry up to 1000 bananas at a time. Furthermore, having his friendly gorilla with hum, Gary and his gorilla must eat, so they eat one banana during each mile they hike (GARY AND HIS GORILLA CAN NEVER BE WITHOUT BANANAS). How many Bananas can Gary and his gorilla get to the market. THE ANSWER CAN'T BE ZERO!!

I did U of 1= 4000. U of n= 4000-2(n-2) and got -2, I don't think this is right though.

The answer COULD be zero, if they still want to live where they harvested the bananas. Plan A - do not go. Plan B - go out 500 miles, return 500 miles. Do 3 more times (with your magical bananas that do not rot).

Source(s): I have seen this before.

676 <–––––

For a detailed explanation see:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100...

Something is wrong. If they take 1000 bananas and eat 1 per mile they eat all of them. They then have none for the return trip so they starve on the way back.

• SumDude

They travel a distance (333), stash some bananas (334), travel back (333) & get more, travel to first stash & stash more, etc ... then do second leg, third leg, arrive at market, and reside there. That is the idea. Last stash will have 1,000 bananas and 333 miles to market = 667 to sell. // regards