Banana
Banana asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 6 months ago

Does anyone have info on this secretary desk?

Picked it up in the trash to put plants on and cleaned it up a bit Its missing the rolling top and had an eagle lock co lock on It

The value of items are determined by their condition and if they have original parts, or not.

The desk is probably not worth much because it is not in good condition and is missing major parts. The roll top is missing, as is the divider insert that would typically be used for letters and desk related items.

One man's silver is another man's gold. Your desk is unique as it appears to have scroll brackets from the bottom of the desktop to the legs. Cool.

If you turn the desk upside down, you may find a maker's mark. Or, pull the drawer out and inspect all sides of the drawer for a label or marking. Desks like yours were typically made of maple wood or perhaps cherry.

Based upon the lock, I did some research and found the below link that you may be interested in. The Eagle Lock Co was in business from 1833 through 1975. So, IF the desk was made the last year the lock company was in business, you have a 44 year old desk, at least.

• james

I would pull out the drawer look on the back of the drawer & on the desk behind the drawer. Sometimes you can find a name there.

• John

I'm going to disagree. My first thought was pine stained fairly dark. It's all a guess from your so-so picture. It's certainly not oak. Maybe a couple hundred dollars finished up nice.

Hard to tell. The lock is the lock maker not the cabinet maker. It could well be an apprentice piece and would refinish beautifully. Tambour doors are ridiculously easy to make that you could always restore that if you wanted.

It is truly amazing what people chuck out: you have a nice find there.

What a sweet little piece. AMAB is being terribly rude.

Looks like an antique but not a terribly old one.

I’m guessing early mid century or a little earlier.

Try posting another pic showing the entire piece including the detail of the piece at the top of the front legs.

Looks like cherry wood but I can’t get a clear enough image of the grain.

Looks like it used to have some sort of rolltop and like one of the back panels has been replaced.

I love people like you. I can put any type of crap on the curb, and you guys are giddy-happy to load it up and haul it off to your own house.

Thank you.

• Banana

Some people have an eye for nice things a a little more creativity to fix furnature instead of just throwing it out.