Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 10 months ago

Should I reject all romantic relationships?

I'm fortunate enough to do work that I sincerely love to do. My hobbies & the work that I do are the most important things and in my entire life, and I don't think that I can be successful if I marry, date, or have kids. I'm very happy to make this trade off, and work on my projects until the day I die. However, that can't happen with romance in my life. Am I being too extreme?

I just won't be able to achieve my goals if i marry, date, or have kids. I love what I do too much to compromise it. I've been thinking about taking some hormones to lower my sex drive and make myself basically asexuall.

No, you aren't being too extreme, but you are imagining that your opinion will always remain the same. As life changes, (and it does for us all), your priorities may change.

• Foofa

Do what you like. A lot of people like yourself will spend their working years solo to focus on building a life then will take a partner in their waning years for companionship. But no one's here to judge you choices so do as you please.

Hell naw bra, those be the freaks.

You have stated that you love your work and hobbies and they are the most important things to you. You think relationships, marriage and kids will not allow you to be a success. Your reason for wanting a relationship is sex, or so it seems. You think the solution would be altering your hormones.

I think you should just concentrate on your work and hobbies for now, and if something happens for you, see if you can work it into your life. You are not always going to be the same person you are now. Your goals, desires and even your hormone levels are subject to change.

Something tells me you have no evidence that you can't do both, or maybe you are putting too much blame on one failed relationship to conclude that any future efforts would end in the same manner. That is just you lying to yourself and justifying why being alone is better for you. If that makes you feel secure, who is anyone to tell you to do things differently?

It is just that while your work and hobbies give you comfort, humans tend to need companionship. It doesn't have to be romantic, but you should find some close friends if you opt not to pursue romantic relationships because sooner or later you will wake up one day and realize that your work and hobbies don't fill the void of loneliness.

For the moment being, this mindset might be the case. However, as time goes by, you might regret not meeting up with someone, dating, marrying, and having kids. As for now, just do what you want and what you love to do. If you want to date, marry, or have kids- the time will come. This is up to you.