sara asked in PetsRodents · 6 months ago

maggots in guinea pig cage?

i feel so bad asking this, and i’m scared that this is somehow my fault. i got a guinea pig five days ago from someone who could no longer keep her. i already have another guinea pig, so i knew how to take care of her. both of my piggies live in separate cages, because they are different sexes. (not intended for breeding. i took her in because she was free.) anyway, since they said they’d just cleaned her cage, i decided to wait until when i cleaned my piggies cage so i could do them at the same time. this was only a few days later. i go to clean the females cage, and i find large maggots inside of it. i’m so grossed out and i don’t see what i did wrong. my other guinea pig had no maggots inside his cage, so i believe they came with the girl and that could be why they got rid of her. i thoroughly cleaned the cages but if this guinea pig has flystryke, i’m not sure what to do. i’m going to try and give her back to the original owner. i have no flies in the room i keep my guinea pigs in, and since my other one which i’ve had for months had nothing inside, i have to assume that’s why they got rid of her. do you think that’s the case? can the maggots spread to my other guinea pig? sorry for all the questions. i’m just grossed out right now and i feel terrible. thank you.

The other guinea pig CAN get parasitic maggots if adult flies emerge and the female lays eggs in her skin. Otherwise, no.

Take her to the vet and see what they recommend. I'm thinking the piggie might have to be shaved so you can spot the larvae, and then either the vet can get them out, or can teach you to. If they are burrowing in the skin, don't try to kill them until you get them out.

evict the maggots and take her to a vet

its probably not your fault, but that sucks mega big time

best of luck!

• Amber

Flystrike is no joke. I bought a bunny years ago that was infested with maggots, from the inside of her stomach. She was obviously sick so I bought her off the owner and took her straight to the vet where they put her down. Then I reported the woman.

They obviously didn't look after it well, so please don't return her. If you don't want her, pass her on, but please don't give her back to them.

Whether you did wrong is debatable. Your logic for not doing the cage is debatable but I would have at least checked the bedding to see if it was fresh. You have no idea how long those maggots where there. It's best not to just trust other people. You sound young (teens maybe) and life is full of lessons.

Check the bedding of every small animal you buy. Check the animal itself for parasites and a health check at the vets is always a good idea.

• Nathan

Of space, so please make sure they have that. Thhe female needs bvet treatment, it isn't your fault it's the previous owners or they were in the bedding you purchased.

It is not your fault, and really not such a big issue presuming common fly larvae, the piggie likely eats them, such things are like a treat. Meal worms and wax worms are feeders sold at pet stores, my trio loved them.

This usually happens when perishable foods are left in the cage and begins to decay.

Contaminated hay begins decay as well as beddings. that takes some serious neglect.

You might identify these, some few flies are parasites and not good for pets or humans.

Just clean the cage well on cleaning day being sure to get any eggs. This includes hides and food utensils, bowls etc.

When you give piggies perishable foods, change that out at least after 24 hours.

Keep hay in racks so it doesn't get contaminated and decaying.

Flystike is very unlikely unless you live in a region with parasitic flies, and then a vet can easily treat this.

Worst you could do is return this poor animal to the same environment that brought this on.

Not only are you partially at fault - here's one of your "theories" on owning animals and spaying/neutering due to the MILLIONS of unwanted, unloved, uncared for animals that are euthanized/die every year.

"People “fix” their pets so they can fix the inconvenience in having one. " Really, Sara, really? You're 18, a legal adult, and you plan to return an animal to an abuser.

Nice.

EDIT: Your previous "question/answer/theory" was to demonstrate just how clueless you are.

• sara6 months agoReport

thanks for not helping me at all? what did fixing my pets have to do with any of this?

"Only a few days later" IS NOT RESPONSIBLE CARE FOR A GUINEA PIG. No, you don't KNOW HOW TO CARE FOR HER.

And your plan of action is to return this suffering animal to the owners who allowed this to happen to her? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?

Maggots feed on flesh, on wounds, on ANIMALS WHICH ARE NOT PROPERLY CARED FOR.

Rather than inconvenience yourself by caring for this suffering animal, why not TURN HER IN TO A RESCUE OR THE SPCA?

I'm beyond grossed out by your behavior. I do a lot of work in animal rescue, all sorts of animals.

Karma.

• daniel g

Bet you never knew fly larvae have been used in medicine to eat decaying tissues and not healthy tissues. Fly larvae is even fit or human consumption, so go figure.