HP Laserjet 4050n sometimes prints fine, sometimes prints gibberish. Help?

It is an old printer. I'm using it with a Windows 10 machine. There is no USB port on it, so I've got a USB to parallel port cable hooked up to it. When firing up the computer with the printer active, it is automatically found and installs the PCL 5 driver for it.

And like I said, sometimes it prints perfectly, sometimes gibberish. Sometimes it will print fine in sections, and big black random shapes in others.

Suggestions on how to fix?

• Fred
    Favorite Answer

Make sure that you are using the correct driver for Win 10:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/Lo...

• Uncle Pennybags

This helped a lot. By using the PCL6 driver it works better. Thanks.

• keerok

Really, you know the answer already. Buy a new printer.

If you really want to use that old dinosaur still, use it with an equally Jurassic CPU with, say, XP.

I know what I'm saying. My HP 1320 is just a few years younger than yours but I bought it during a time when my CPU didn't have USB yet and I was still using DOS applications. Now my newish CPU is USB-equipped but I still run that same ol' reliable DOS application.

Newer printer or older computer. Don't mix when you match.

Don't struggle with it. Bin it and buy a new HP laser printer. They are not expensive if you look for online bargains. See link for UK example.