Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 4 months ago

Should my parents take my little sister to a psychologist? How can I help her?

My sister has really bad attitude problems, and snaps at people in a really nasty way. She gets mad at everything and her anger turns really violent. Three days ago I was arguing with her and she stabbed me on the shoulder in front of my parents. We lied about what happened to the doctor. I told him I fell down while holding the fruit knife. She was crying and apologized to me. But I still think my parents should take her to a psychologist or something. My parents told me she was fine, that those are the hormones. She's 12 years old and I'm a 17 year old guy who have friends that are girls and when we where that age, they weren't violent at all. My sister is always angry. How can I help her?

• Nitro
    Favorite Answer

It sounds like your sister is dealing with something far deeper than hormones (i.e. bipolar disorder). If she is stabbing people, that's not a good sign. Good on you for wanting to help her. I would speak to your parents about having her see a therapist.

Your description screams that she is in need of a psychological evaluation, at the very least. You can help by sharing this with your parents and asking them, urging them to take her and to stop denying that there's a real problem here. I can guarantee that if they do nothing, things will worsen and become harder to treat. Good wishes,

Your sister has a severe emotional issue of some kind. I am no doctor but she may be schizophrenic. I feel badly for you and her. I have Bi-Polar and well.

i would tell the police about it and let them deal with it

If she continues to behave like that then someone else will deal with her in an unkind way if she tries to stab someone, so your parents >>> BETTER <<< deal with her, and you as well. You have a problem with telling lies, and your sister has anger issues.

Buy your parents books, especially perhaps “How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk” by Adele Faber and Elaine MazlishYou do seem to need some serious help with this, so call 1-800-4ACHILD if in the U.S.A., or Childline (0800 1111) in the U.K. No doubt other countries have similar free phone lines. Canada is 1-800-668-6868, Ireland: https://www.childline.ie/. Australia: https://kidshelpline.com.au/

Tell your teacher/principle/counselor Whichever you have. Tell them the truth. Your sister violently stabbed you with a knife. I don't know if they can help her but they can help you.

Nope.........................................

A psychologist is the best idea

You can’t keep making excuses and lying for her as that enables the behaviour and will feed her issues. She needs to face it all head on with a help of a professional.

Mistake to lie about the stabbing. Next time it could be your throat. If you had reported it to the police an order for treatment may have been issued. You can't sweep that problem under the carpet.