Why do people hate my friend who likes to be alone?

I have a friend who spends most of her time alone. She prefers to do that but still has a close knit relationship with a few people. I've noticed that when our group is around her people act more respectful to her. However, when she is by herself, she tells me people always want to start a fight with her. I... show more I have a friend who spends most of her time alone. She prefers to do that but still has a close knit relationship with a few people. I've noticed that when our group is around her people act more respectful to her. However, when she is by herself, she tells me people always want to start a fight with her. I find that really confusing. She believes they are hostile towards her when they see her alone. Why would it matter if we are around her vs. when we are not around her. She said she feels like she is in an abusive relationship with these people: when all the friends are around the abusers put on a positive front, but when we are gone, they show her their true evil colors. Why are they doing that to her? I think they are cowards for showing her that side of themselves when we aren't around. What do y'all think?
Update: I don't think she's paranoid. I think that is what the abusive people want her closest friends to think. That is why they act different around her when she is by herself and around them. I believe her. She wouldn't make any of this stuff up.