2007 Mitsubishi Galant 2.4 stalling issue.?

I have a 07 Mitsubishi Galant with the 2.4 4 cylinder. Just bought it and it was running great. A few days ago I had to run some errands and out of no where the car would stall. It would lose power and drop rpm when you touched the throttle until it finally would stall. As soon as it would stall you could start it up and it would run fine again. Yesterday same thing happened. Except i had to let it sit for about 20 minutes before it would run right again. I hooked up the scanner, no check engine codes. It will run great for 30-40 minutes and out of no where it starts acting up. I’m at a loss and don’t know what to do. I’m hoping maybe someone has had something similar happen to them and maybe put me in the right direction. It doesn’t over heat, runs at operating temp. Anyone know where to start?

Charge the battery and then go to an Auto Parts Store and have the battery and charging system tested. They do that as a free service.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • TomB

How long was it sitting and where did you buy your gas and/or did you gas up just prior to the problems....you could have some water in your tank.

Try some dry gas or "iso heet" (and/or a new fuel filter, depending on where it is).

(and another possibility is if you have been running on empty the fuel pump, which is located in the fuel tank and uses the surrounding fuel for cooling on most modern cars, may be overheating or it is sucking the crap off the bottom of the tank and the pick-up is clogged)

Fuel pressure issue, get a fuel pressure gauge tester.

Yep. It's fuel starvation. Make sure the gas tank vent is clear. Fuel pumps next. Possibly mass air flow sensor needs a clean or replacing.

Could be bad gas, bad fuel pump. But if you ran codes the pump should send out an error code.