Jack asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

My dog recently killed a baby rabbit now she refuses to put it down, is this normal behavior? Is she sad she killed it? H?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Jojo
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Its NORMAL behaviour and NO she is NOT sad she killed it. In fact its probably made her feel very good about it all. Hence why she wants to keep it for herself.

Dog predator.

Rabbit Prey. All perfectly normal.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

I'd suggest, other than the fact she needs to learn about 'drop'/'leave', this is quite natural. She's now resource guarding - is all. How can she possibly be sad when she's done what she's hard-wired to do. Chase, catch, kill - and most likely eat. If you don't want her eating wild animals, keep her better confined - and be aware that wild animals often carry tapeworm so if she does eat it, she'll need to be checked for this, eventually. She does need to learn to leave, in case she gets hold of something dangerous.

• 6 months ago

Yes it is perfectly normal behavior for my dogs also. And why would the dog be sad about it please do you think? As for rabbit he kills them daily when we are low enough for Rabbit though he is pictured with a Hare not a Rabbit

Attachment image
    Source(s): Shepherd
  • 6 months ago

Normal behaviour. She caught something, she wants to keep it. A wild dog would have eaten it. Your dog may not know that rabbits can be eaten, but there's enough left of the 'catch and eat' instinct for her not to want to give it up. No, she is not sad about it.

• ...Show all comments
    • Jojo
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

So Anna....Why not put this is in an answer and not just in a comment box? Commenting instead of answering is something you do way too often. imo. Why is that?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.