I'm writing a book; would this sell at all?

Here's the idea: I am going to gather a piece of life advice from one person ages 5-105 and put it all together in the form of a book. So 1 piece of advice from someone that is 5, 6, 7, etc. Bad or awful idea? Thanks

Go for it you might be an amazing writer.

• Marli

It would need to be insightful, useful or inspiring advice. You would need to collect a lot of it in order to find the gems, because most of us don't utter great advice, especially not to order. The five-year-olds may have a lot that would make sense to other five year olds, but not to the seventy-five year olds. There are few 105 year olds. You would have to travel far to interview them. Looking up George Burns' books or Bob Hope's would get one or two from entertainers near or passing their century, and the late Queen Mother didn't write her advice when she passed hers. At least I haven't read it. They also did not make it to 105. You will need to verify your citations, and using the quotations for a book to be published for sale could result in copyright and other legal matters.

Few readers would be interested in the life advice from people they don't know or could care less about. I'd rather read the Queen Mother's biography than her advice for life. I respect her, but her advice would be more useful to her family than to me. It's unlikely I will ever need it since I am not a member of the Royal Family.

Too broad.

What is far more interesting is interviewing a lot of men and asking what advice they have for boys. Just a paragraph per person - the main piece of advice they wish they'd had given to them when they were still teens.

• Andrew

I'm well aware that children can, on occasion, be incredibly insightful. But it's unlikely that you're going to be able to compile a slew of sagacious truths from children, teenagers and twenty-somethings. And considering the fact that you only plan to include 100 pieces of advice, the book isn't going to be appealing to people who are actually looking for something engaging to read. After half a dozen pedestrian platitudes and corny cliches, most people would get bored just flipping through it right there in the bookshop. Few would be inclined to fork over money to purchase it as the minimal content doesn't lend itself well to re-reads. I'm not sure how many people there are out there who are thinking: "You know what my library is lacking? Books chock full of life advice from 11 and 12 year olds." And of course, you'll have to gather the advice first, and it'll have to be perceptive - stuff that isn't all over the internet already. And you'll have to interview people to acquire it. And people will expect to be paid if you plan to use their ideas in a book, so unless you're willing to spend a great deal of time interviewing people and sifting through mounds of useless nonsense in an effort to find 100 tidbits that might fit the bill, and unless you're willing to pay people so that you might feature their advice in your book, I'd say it's a waste of time. But if you really want to go through all that, then have at it.

I think it might if you get interesting responses from the people you ask. You'd also have to include some biographical info about the people you include.

It's true that ideas mean very little. If you get the combination of an original and engaging idea AND a skilled writer it's great to read.

But I've heard ideas that sound amazing but are being pulled off by an amateur and so it's slightly disappointing.

I've heard very basic ideas that don't interest me at all. But beta read because that person did it for me and I never thought I'd like it so much.

It wouldn't sell at all, but you could probably shift a few units by paying people to read it. Hey! Here's a good idea........ only sell it to people who have the vowels a, i, and u in their middle names and have birthdays on the 17th. Of whatever. You know what I mean. Hope this helped, but only if you're aged between 9 and 17 and-a-half. Otherwise I don't care.

The idea might convince a reader to pick up the book. Whether the reader buys it depends more on how good the advice is and how well-written it is.

It's a dream. Random advice adds up to nothing. Similar to YA.

• Mandy

Except, his book could be interesting - if the questions are. The questions on here are usually not interesting.

The value of a book is not necessarily the root idea but how well you pull it off. It's nice to start off with a good idea but it is the writing itself that matters.