Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 10 months ago

Can you check who owned a house 25 years ago? I know you can check for the current owner on the land registry but what about previous owner?

To cut a long story short my father divorced my mother in 1994 and he went to Pakistan since 1998 and only just returned a few years ago with his new wife and children. He concealed a house he owned in case my mother claimed for half of it during there divorce. He sold that house and purchased another one but he did not tell my mother in case she made a claim against him. My father left us when I was 9 and I have three younger siblings. He did not support us financially or had anything to do with us. He has been abroad for over 20 years and didn't return in case he has to pay child maintenance to us. What hurts me is that fact he did not treat us fairly in comparison to his children from his second marriage. He gave them heaven but gave us hell! If that makes sense.

None of what you describe gets you any money anyway.

Yes you can find out. Did he buy the house while he was married to your mom, or before?

• Maxi

Land registry shows all previous owners

• Politically Correct

Land Registry does not show any prior owners for my flat. I bought it in 1980. It was built in 1860.

There are ways to look that up, but it's really a waste of time and effort. If she never filed for and was granted child support, it's far too late to do it now - the statute of limitations expired long ago. If she did file and was awarded child support that was never paid, it may be possible to go after assets he has currently, but not anything he had 25 years ago that he doesn't have now. And it will take a GOOD lawyer.

If you can get an official copy of the "Certificate/Registration of Title" it will have everything from where the land was subdivided or first registered as a parcel of land and EVERY owner of the Land since.That would be proof of who owned the Land and when.

Whether your Mother could go back with that proof and file for an amended Divorce Settlement I don't know. After obtaining that information she would be wise to see a Lawyer specialising in such matters. But realise it would be for HER and not for you children.

If found out he may go to prison for Perjury, having lied on official court documents.

Yes, an attorney, a private investigator, someone with access to the records can check. In SOME areas this is public information.

I don't understand why you care who owned a house 25 years ago, though. If your mother had a support order and he did not pay, then she is entitled to take action against him.

If she did NOT because she felt it was a waste of time (or something), it's too late to file a claim now.

In some States someone overseas does NOT have to be personally served with a request for child support.

Yes, you can check. You can go on line and obtain records of ownership dating back many years. I'm not sure how this question connects with your description of your father's behavior though.