Should a babysitter get payed?

My husband and I often ask out regular babysitter to stay during the night, usually about four hours. But recently we’ve been coming home early( said we would be back at 11, but we arrive at 10). I always pay her for the full four hours, but my husband says I shouldn’t. What’s your opinion?

You've made an agreement with the babysitter that their services will be required for 4 hours / until 11pm. They have reserved those 4 hours entirely for you.

It is fair and reasonable to pay them for the duration, even if you return early.

It really depends on your agreement with your sitter. Most people don't have a guarantee contract with a babysitter. If you say "we'll be home between 10 and 11," and the sitter agrees to work until 10 or 11, you really only need to pay her for the hours worked. If the sitter says they will only stay if they get paid for 3 hours or 5 hours or whatever it is, then you're basically agreeing to pay X dollars regardless of the number of hours actually worked.

Have a conversation with your sitter. Keep in mind that being slightly generous is a good way to keep a good sitter.

Many states have a minimum hour shift law. This means you cannot have an employee report to work and get sent home because you decided you didn't need them. It's usually 3 or 4 hours minimum.

There is also "per hour" payrates and "per job" rates.

As an independent bookkeeper, I charge a much higher rate Per Hour if the job is indeterminate. That is, I don't know if I'll be there a few hours or all day. Time is money and you have to make a living.

If the client wants me to stay until the work is done, I'll charge a daily rate.

The kid planned on so many hours. Pay it.

• Nuff Sed

I suppose that a babysitter would more likely be considered an independent contractor than an "employee" subject to any sort of "hour shift law", but it could depend upon what state you're talking about. Yes, reserving a person's time is worth something, whether or not you end up needing all of it.

Pay her for the time she babysat the kids. No more. Your estimated time to arrive home is just that - ESTIMATED.

Source(s): Babysat through my teens, 3-4 nights a week.
    • Herrmann

How would you feel if you expected 4 hours work and it turned out to be 2? Would you be happy with that?

You should pay her per hour she's working so there is no confusion.

• Orla C

If you want to have a babysitter next time you need one, PAY HER.

The word is "paid."

In MY State your agreement that she would be PAID for 4 hours is a binding oral contract. Is it worth it to the babysitter to plan on 4 hours, gets PAID for 3 and go to Small Claims Court? Probably not.

I have little respect for adults who enter into agreements with children and then back out of their side of the agreement.

She's planning to spend all four hours at your home, potentially cancelling other plans (or even other babysitting gigs) to make herself available to you. If she's a good sitter and she's taking good care of the kids, I say pay her. Going forward, if you know you're coming home early, communicate that in advance and save yourself the money.

• K8

If you like this babysitter and want her to continue watching the kids extra money does not hurt...

• Nancy

No, but she should get paid.