Moose asked in PetsDogs · 11 months ago

Is it okay for a dog's name to be 3 syllables long?

I'm worried that it'll get tiring having to yell the name at the park and say it around the house if it's that long- are there any practical issues with long dog names or is it fine? the name I want to name him is Babadook, if anyone is wondering.

● "Is it okay for a dog's name to be 3 syllables long?"

Yes, BUT...!!!!

You neglected to explain whether you meant his FULL name or his CALL-name.

Maybe you don't yet understand the FUNCTION of the call-name?

Its function is to be brief & sharp/loud to get the dog's attention so that he LISTENS to the next sounds you utter - the COMMAND.

● "I'm worried that it'll get tiring having to yell the name at the park and say it around the house if it's that long- are there any practical issues with long dog names or is it fine? the name I want to name him is Babadook, if anyone is wondering."

The CALL-name should be 1 or 2 syllables. My crossbred was Pal. My GSDs have been Caesar, Zacke, Jena, Rella, Ciwa, Cwanto, Elfi, Graff (from Lorelei German Graffiti), Hetze, Kamee, Karl (from Lorelei Keks Karl), Kass (from Lorelei Inkasso), Nadja, Nina, Nita, Cippa (from Lorelei Offa Cippa), Sekse, and currently Bea (pronounced Bee-ah).

Baba (= Bar-bar) could be fine - but I suspect that it would be pronounced as Bubba - a name with connotations I personally dislike.

I recommend "the back door test" - stand outside the back and call the name you're thinking of using and immediately ad one of thr main command-words. If you're embarrassed, or it makes your throat feel uncomfortable, cross that name off thr list.

Whatever you choose, make sure that it easily leads into

---- BRING (or ---- FETCH IT!)

---- COME!

---- DOWN!

---- GI-I-IVE

---- HEEL!

---- NO!!! (or ---- LEAVE IT!

---- OFF!

---- SIT !

---- STAAAAAY!

There are other command-words that can be used as commands if you get involved in competition.

Have you found a weekly training club where, for about a year starting when Pup is 18-to-22 weeks old, YOU can get coached to improve your awareness, consistency, skills, timing (especially of praise & rewards) and use of the leash.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

😛 To discuss GSDs, join some groups such as

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/GSD_Friendly/i...

by sending an e-mail about yourself to the Subscribe address on that page.

The people in them KNOW about GSDs. Plus you can include several actual photos in your posts.

To find other groups or breeds, type the breed-name into the top field of

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/dir

then choose a couple of groups to Join - use the group's

Message History

on its /info page to make sure that it still has members who are ACTIVE.

😛 Also join

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/The_GSD_Source...

so that you can easily look up all sorts of information about dogs, especially GSDs. It is an "encyclopaedia" group (to which members can ask for new sources to be added), not a discussion group.

King Les The Lofty - first pup in 1950; GSD breeder & trainer as of 1968

• Ocimom

Sure but sooner or later you will just use a nickname of one syllable. Unique name you want to name your dog :)

3 syllables worked for Scoo-by-doo.

3 is better than one, but ten to one, you will be shortening the name you have chosen. Generally a name ending with an 'ie', or 'y' is better.

Most of mine over the years, had silly 'pet' names as well as the registered name, and call name!!

• Jojo

It`s ok, but most dogs will respond to the FIRST syllable of their name if its 2-3 syllables long. So if your dog is called Babadook and you call out that name he will respond to the `Bab`bit of it. So you really only need to call out Bab. Most dogs names with more than one syllable are automatically shortened, as no-one wants or needs to call out the whole name, and in this case It would be appropriate to either regularly call the the dog Baba OR Dook, which are much easier than calling out Babadook and you will get just the same response from him.

My dog responds to `Oi` as well as his name when recalling him. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

With my dog Pacer I always used `Pace` when calling him.

Anyway, its your choice whatever you decide to call your dog.

Source(s): GSD owner for 56 years.
    • King Les The Lofty

If the dog reliably responded to thr FIRST syllable, we would start with the command word, not the call-name

There is nothing wrong with three syllables, and it is still easy to call him.

• Diana

Its better to keep a pet's name down to one, or two syllables so that it'll be easier to call.

No, it is not => either in an EMERGENCY SITUATION or for obedience commands. Let's envision your puppy or juvenile dog jumps out of the car MINUS a leash.... or "BUSTS out" the front door or fence gate and is running towards the street (since it sees a cat or squirrel or skateboarder). Do you really want to struggle to get out 3 difficult syllables, when a 1 or 2 syllable name -would have been FASTER? Trust me - every SECOND COUNTS in a BAD situation!

And do you really WANT the possible nicknames (Dookie, Babbie, etc.) that name is likely to get shortened to - at the vet's or at a dog park etc.? Instead, pick a CALL name that is 1 syllable -(like Duke) or 2 syllables & that sounds happy when said (often such names end in "Y" or "IE"). Save the fancy (long) 3 syllable name for any registration papers requiring a FORMAL name.

I’d think about that one carefully, because it’s 100% people are going to start calling him “Dookie”

• bubba

thats a cool name , my dogs name is 3 syllables and when i call her it make it more , her name is Mushkalah , and when i call her i call Mushkalahlahlahlah , and she comes running , once i was walking her in the bush of leash and she started running at a lady , I called her back but the lady ran away in fright , I could not work out why , but then it dawned on me , the lady proberly heard my yell " Mush kill her " LOL , anyway if you call your dog Babadook , you can yell Babadookdookdook to get them to come back just like in the book