Jax R asked in HealthMental Health · 9 months ago

Does lying about a gruesome family emergency cross the line of decency to use PTO at work?

I've used made up excuses to get out of school and work, but this kind of made me even question it. She said that her uncle had been in a bad car accident and was in the hospital. He was the sole caretaker of her ill grandfather in another state, and needed to take time off to help out. When she got back she put in her two weeks notice and a week after she posted photos of her vacation online.

No one is going to tell management, but all of our co-workers were kind of disgusted that she would use that as an excuse. Its a small office and we do socially interact with each other outside of work. I explained it to her and said "You kind of used the nuclear option. Its kind of morbid to make it a life or death situation. Everyone was concerned because even though we are work friends, we are still kinda friends."

• ricky
    Favorite Answer

Your concern, shows you are an adult. Her childishness will get her eventually.

Yeah, talk about Karma. You admitted lying about a bunch of excuses to get out of school and work, and now you're bashing your co-worker for lying about a excuses to get off work.

Clearly, your lies are sacred and holy. The other person's lies are terrible.

Show me someone who's always honest and doesn't lie to get out of school and work, and I'll show you someone who is smart and successful.

• bubba

Yarp bad karma that , the lie will become the truth if she is not careful