promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

My Samsung French Door Refrigerator has a loud fan going much of the hours of the day/night. Does this issue need to be addressed?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • paul h
    Lv 7
    10 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes...the condenser fan is usually on the rear lower part of the fridge and runs to cool off the condenser/compressor and help evaporate the drain pan. If the condenser coils are clogged with dirt/dust/debris and cannot evacuate/transfer heat as well, then the cooling fan will run longer than normal to cool them off. An overheated system can ruin the compressor too over time.

Best to check/clean the coils or any other debris blockage and check for other issues if the fan keeps running non-stop.....possibly a bad temp sensor but most cooling fans simply operate when the compressor is running. Check the fan blades as well for builtup dirt which may lessen it's efficiency and cause it to run longer or the motor has bad bearings...noisy. Still should not run non-stop.

On some brands like my side by side model, the center divider between the doors has a refrigerant pipe behind it to warm that area and reduce frost buildup in the freezer section.....the divider got very hot when the condenser overheats due to a bad fan motor and discolored the paint on it as well as being very hot to the touch.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Droopy
    Lv 5
    10 months ago

If it Louder than normal then yes you might want to have it checked before that part fails then you have a full fridge.

• 10 months ago

Sounds right to me...

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

If your fridge is making a loud noise, the condenser fan motor could be to blame. This normally located near the compressor at the bottom rear of the refrigerator. The condenser fan circulates air through the condenser coil to remove heat as well as circulating air over the drain pan to evaporate the defrost water. I would have it repaired before it dies completely

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.