promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Sue asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 9 months ago

parents, brothers & sisters born in Scotland. I was born in Canada, do I have dual citizenship?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

If either of your parents are British citizens, then you are British by descent and just need to apply for your British passport, if you have Canadian citizenship then yes you are a citizen of both the UK and Canada

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Brooky
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

If either of your parents was a citizen of the UK (I assume you know that Scotland is in the UK) when you were born, you are already a UK citizen 'by descent' and there was no need for your birth to be registered in any way with the UK for that to be the case. Provided you have the required documentation, you can apply for a British passport without any intermediate steps.

Your parent was a UK citizen if they were born anywhere in the UK before 1 January 1983 (regardless of their parents' immigration status) or, if born after that date, if either of their parents was a British citizen (or had Indefinite Leave to Remain) at the time of their birth, or if they were naturalised as a British citizen.

https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citizenship

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

apply for the NewZealand citizenship

• 9 months ago

IF your parents were citizens of the UK at the time of your birth, you probably have birthright citizenship in UK. Your parents should have registered your birth with UK consulate/high commission in Canada at time of your birth to get your UK citizenship by descent. You'll need to prove your parents were UK citizens at the time of your birth to get this.

You only could get citizenship by descent, which means your children will have NO rights to UK citizenship.

• No registration requirement for a Great British passport.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.