My dad always says older washing machines are better than newer washing machines is that true? Or is he just old fashioned?

We have a washing machine that I think is from the 1990's. It's a Kenmore and it's made out of thick metal. He always says "newer washing machines aren't good. They're made out of plastic and aren't as high of quality". He's been saying that for more than 10 years.

Favorite Answer

He lives in the past.

• Tommymc

Statistically, the old ones last longer. That's a fact. The new ones have more cycles, use less water, and spin the clothes drier. They're better...until they break. (and there are more things to break)

• Anna E

I like the older washers but not because they are higher quality. It is because in most of the new models you cannot choose your load size. Everything is electronic and high efficiency. The load size is determined by sensors in the washer and very little water is used even when you put on the deep load indicator. You have to use detergent made for high efficiency washers and cannot use too much. Also repairs are as expensive as replacing the machine because of the electronics involved (a repairman told me this). When my old machine broke and I had to replace it I looked for a long time and even though the one I got is highly recommended, I really do not like it.

he's right--I am holding onto my old one as long as possible--the new HE ones don't actually clean--my friends are always whining about them--so I am going to baby mine as long as possible and if I can find a non HE one when they go-I will buy it!

For the most part, he's right.

All the top loaders with a stubby agitator are not worth bringing in the house . They can barely get a bugger out of a handkerchief, let alone some real soil out of real clothes.

Front loaders fair better, but I've seen some of those so called "super capacity" ones, that can't balance a large load to even get through the first rinse & spin for hours.

And all these machines with digital computer control boards, are nothing but trouble. Haven't seen one go five years without a service call. A guy at work has a three year old LG and has had to have the computer reset by a service tech two times already. I mean, it fills & drains water and goes 'swish-swish-swish', and it needs a computer to do that...yea, right.

These days, stick with manual controls on appliances, if possible, and full sized agitators on top loaders.