Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 11 months ago

Can my mom legally do this?

I'm 16 (17 in 1 month), and want to hang out with friends. When I was younger, the only place I went was school and never got to go anywhere with friends. Now, I want to go hang out and my mom says I can t unless she meets them and their parents and knows where I m at. This may sound reasonable to you but my friends are juniors and seniors in high school. Their parents are busy or not around so it s nearly impossible for me to meet those requirements. I m always at home and just want to spend time with friends. Can she legally make me stay home? What are my rights?

Update: I live in the USA

• Foofa

As a minor child you have the right to food, shelter and education. You also have the right not to be physically or sexually abused in your home. You do not have the right to socialize freely outside of what your parents allow you to do. You are correct that your parents demands to meet your friends' parents are entirely reasonable. My kids aren't teens yet but when they are they'll live under the same rules you do. Try to negotiate a situation where your parents can talk to these other parents on the phone. I know I've be grilled on the phone by other parents my kids have wanted to have playdates with. This is pretty standard in the parenting world.

You have no rights. You are a minor child. Your mother has a responsibility to raise you how she feels fit, to love you, protect you, raise you, and rule her home and her children how she decides. When you turn of adult age in your state - 18, 19 or 21, then you can move out and live how you see fit.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.

As long as you are under the age legal adult age and living under her roof she makes the rules and you have to obide by them unless she is asking you to do something illegal. Sorry looks like you have to kiss some butt.

Legally you have no standing. Do you have any aunts, uncles, or friends of your parents that might sympathize with your situation? If so see if they will speak to your parents on your behalf.

Yes she can legally do this. You have no "rights"

YES

(1)

Unfortunately, as long as you live in your parents’ home

they can make the rules about when you come and go.

So prepare yourself to become self-sufficient with a job

and to make your own income so that you can rent your

own small space and leave home so that you can come

and go as you please.

(2)

Concerning your spelling skills you should learn to use apostrophes.

Can t is actually Can’t (short for ’Can not’)

I m is actually I’m (short for ‘I am’)

When you try to get a job one day employers will notice such errors

and this will not be good for you.

Until you turn 18 and are considered an adult, your Mom basically owns your butt.

• helene

Yes, she can. Bring your friends over to meet her.

As long as you are living in their home they can set the rules.

Sure she can. You're still a juvenile.