How to Break a Lease When Your Landlord Disagree to the Terms?


I live in Student Housing. My landlord refuses to release/terminate me from my lease even though i transferred out of the school. she says the only way to release me from the lease is if i can find someone to take on my lease but that isnt possible because im not social, and i no longer am on that campus so its not like i can hang fliers around the place. i need to be released from this lease because i literally cannot pay rent for this place and the place i am at now. what should i do?

Update 2:

I cant hand over my lease to anyone because im no longer on campus so its not like I can hang fliers around campus.I dont have any social media besides instagram but even so nobody from my school follows me and since im no longer in the area it wont reach out to the people with in that area.

My landlord can terminate me. She just refuses even though I fit the criteria

If theres a roommate established in the apartment can the landlord terminate her lease and claim mine, leaving an empty room?

13 Answers

  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    12 months ago

    If you have a lease and the landlord is trying to change the terms you may need to get a lawyer.

  • 12 months ago

    Your excuses are IRRELEVANT. You signed a contract. You are bound by the terms and conditions of it. Either find a replacement who the landlord approves of or expect to be sued. You will lose. Get a part-time job, and don't sign contracts that you may not be able to keep.

    Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • Anonymous
    12 months ago

    Buy Real Instagram followers from

  • 12 months ago

    This is a tough lesson to learn, no doubt. See, you signed a legal document stating that you would rent this place for x amount of time. You do have a way out of the lease, but your refuse to find another tenant because of your lame excuses. There are MANY ways to advertise a rental: the newspaper,, the school's web site or other affiliated school media account and, of course, facebook.

    So, you need to be an adult and do what you can to advertise this rental. Your excuses are not acceptable and just a cop out. You signed that lease and now you need to be responsible.

    You do realize that the landlord has to PAY for his property and now you have left and stopped paying him. That is not fair for him and it is incredibly selfish of you to put him in the position of not being able to collect rent.

    So, do the morally correct thing and sublet the space so the landlord can be paid for his rental unit.

    You are in COLLEGE, not kindergarten.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    12 months ago


    If the contract says NOTHING about leaving the area you have 3 choices:

    1 - Move somewhere else and hope the landlord won't be able to find you in order to sue you. She will find you eventually, of course.

    2 - Pay the rent under the terms of the lease until the lease expires.

    3 - Find a replacement for the balance of the lease.

    EDIT: Just read your posting history: " I have severe mental health issues that requires me to send in doctors notes to my university (A.K.A I am mandated to see an on campus therapist weekly)" MANDATED to see a therapist weekly? I would make arrangements with which the landlord agrees or you will NEVER get a recommendation for any other living arrangement. You can always claim your mental health is so severe that you cannot legally understand a contract/lease.

    I think you will lose but it's a thought.

  • 12 months ago

    You signed a contract and your landlord is being reasonable giving you a way out of the contract (which he doesn't have to do). Run ads in newspapers and school newspapers or digital rental media. Ask your landlord for some blank rental applications so when you find someone and they fill out the app the landlord can check them out. Not being social is not like being blind or deaf, you are still required to interact with other people for a number of life functions. Also, your landlord doesn't disagree with the terms of your contract, you do.

  • Anonymous
    12 months ago

    Either you find a replacement leasee or you get sued and pay all the back rent and early termination fees.

    Once you have a judgment against you forget about renting in the future.

  • 12 months ago

    step 1, grow up, you wanted to play adult, time to act like 1.

    you signed a CONTRACT. the contract is legally binding.

    does the lease have a termination provision if you drop out of the school? I doubt it.

    the time to disagree with the terms of the lease was before you signed it.

    you can place ads online.

    your only option would be if you developed a disability or a disability deteriorated and you can no longer live in that which case you would make a request for reasonable accommodation to terminate the lease without penalty *under FHA in the US. it would only be reasonable if the LL could find a new tenant on his own.

    realize the LL likely won't willingly adhere to FHA....and you will have to fight.

    as per your question 7 months ago, you cannot demand a 2nd room not be rented. that is not a reasonable accommodation. reasonable accommodation would be to give you priority for single rooms...if you want the whole place to yourself you need to pay for both rooms..

  • Anonymous
    12 months ago

    If there is not a clause that allows you to legally break the lease then you are either going to have to just stop paying and take the hit on your credit if it goes to collections, take the risk you might get sued or pay the penalty for breaking your lease.

  • Anonymous
    12 months ago

    Bottom line is you can't. That obligation will follow you around for many years and could prevent you from renting again. Ask the landlord to try to rent it out for you. If she can do that it might only cost you a month or two more. But she is not going to rent yours out over empty ones she has available.

    EDIT, you should be in good shape when she finds another renter then. If she can find a renter in 2 weeks she might let you off the hook for 2 weeks rent?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.